500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Saturday, April 8, 2023

The Paris Wife, by Paula McLain

 

This one is an oldie, published 2012, that I found at the library’s used book sale. I’m actually not a huge Hemingway fan but found his life and suicide intriguing enough to be curious about his pre-fame days. This focused on Hadley, the first wife, and is fictional, but found it intriguing just the same.

The author has done extensive research that is shared through the eyes of Hadley. We see the young, as yet unproven Hemingway as she might have. Ambitious and driven, living life to the fullest while still uncertain and struggling with personal demons. I’m sure at some point I must have known his father committed suicide but had forgotten. Other now famous literary figures such as Gertrude Stein drift in and out of the story and we see both Hemingway’s admiration and jealousy.

In the process, we see how young Hadley struggles to cope with the larger than life personality of her husband, seemingly losing herself in the process. It’s rather melancholy, actually, for those who know the end of the story, not to mention Hemingway’s ultimate end. Yet, the prose flows and I found myself being pulled back into the book repeatedly, even after thinking I’d set it aside for good. Definitely worth a read and will, gasp, make you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creating Reading Rainbow: The Untold Story of a Beloved Children's Series, by Barbara Irwin, Tony Buttino, Pam Johnson

Publication June 18, 2024 I knew immediately I was going to thoroughly enjoy this book as I read Barbara Irwin's preface. Her warm remem...