500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Tuesday, April 4, 2023

Puppy Pals and Puppy Tales, by Johnette DeRose


 Publication May 1, 2023

This is a feel good book. Seriously. I found myself smiling with that warm glow you get when something has really pleased you. 

I also found myself glancing at my dog, wondering what stories she might tell. I mean, have you ever looked at your dog looking at you and wondered what it was thinking? Wonder no more. Johnette DeRose's storyteller, Liza the Lab, gives you the scoop. 

Even better, it's not only fun but illustrated. Illustrator Patrizia Donaers gives life to Liza and her humans. Heck, she does an excellent job not just conveying the expressiveness of Liza and her family but even manages to give expression to a stray bat although, after thought, I decided the smile on one of the ducklings as it swam in the family bathtub was my favorite. The artwork is simple, with largely soft colors, and works well for everything from ducklings to a puppy learning to climb stairs, which is nicely shown to compare to a child learning to ride a bike, and so on. The stories are short, easily read separately or as a whole, and even manage to wiggle in some learning moments, such as the ducklings' webbed feet and that bats sleep upside-down.

Oh, wait. There's a paw on my knee. Could my Daisy dog be telling me she could write a book, too? Or, maybe she just wants another treat? In any case, thanks #NetGalley and #PuppyLizaLCC - IBPA for letting me enjoy Liza's year. "Puppy Pals and Puppy Tales" is a delight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creating Reading Rainbow: The Untold Story of a Beloved Children's Series, by Barbara Irwin, Tony Buttino, Pam Johnson

Publication June 18, 2024 I knew immediately I was going to thoroughly enjoy this book as I read Barbara Irwin's preface. Her warm remem...