500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Wednesday, April 5, 2023

Let's Go, Puppy!, by Holly Rosensweig

 

Available June 27, 2023

Admittedly, the dog picture on the cover is what first drew me. I've become predictable that way. But, I quickly found the concept behind this book intriguing. Although I taught for years, I never dealt with children just learning to create the wonderful and, yes, sometimes annoyingly repetitive sounds we're capable of making, so I was curious as to how teaching this skill is approached. I should note here, too, that this board book is as much for parents as teachers.

The publisher's blurb does an excellent job detailing the book's contents, so I'll simply share my own reactions. First, it offers direction to adults using the book. A "how to", so to speak.The artwork by Emily Rutherford is simple, so as to attract but not distract, if that makes sense, using color and limited backgrounds. We're essentially following a puppy's day, with the various words spoken to it repeated in large print. Heck, even a passing car gets a word in. Two actually, "beep-beep" and I grinned at the soapy rubber ducky on the "wash-wash-wash" page.

The book is short and by focusing on something most babies and toddlers show interest in, a puppy, designed to keep the child's attention. The puppy is adorable, btw. Bottom line, if you have a child at this stage or learning, you won't be disappointed. It's not only colorful and cute, but teaches both the teacher and child. 

Thanks #NetGalley and #NinewisePublishing for sharing this teaching insight with me. My Daisy dog gives this one four paws up plus a tail way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creating Reading Rainbow: The Untold Story of a Beloved Children's Series, by Barbara Irwin, Tony Buttino, Pam Johnson

Publication June 18, 2024 I knew immediately I was going to thoroughly enjoy this book as I read Barbara Irwin's preface. Her warm remem...