500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Sunday, April 30, 2023

The Silver Ladies Do Lunch, by Judy Leigh


 Publication June 2, 2023

I was hooked from the opening sentence. Is there anyone among us who didn't wonder who our teacher would be? Would they be nice, boring, or mean? Our school year would seem endless or brief based on who was sitting at that desk trying to look strict on the first day. Toss in oddball classmates, humor, crushes, and, best of all, best friends forever, and it'll take you right back to those good-old-days when you sat in a classroom. I've been behind both desks, so this was real for me.

Of course, we age. People come in and out of our lives. We meet the characters as children and then their senior years. Author Judy Leigh does an excellent job introducing us to them, each quickly becoming well-rounded personalities in their own right. Miss Hamilton was a catalyst.

Although there are many moments within I'd love to share, after thinking about it, I decided sharing would dilute the pleasure of reading them raw, without preconceived notions in your minds. Old age isn't for sissies, there is loss and heartache along with joy and love.  

Miss Hamilton, who rides back into their lives as a 90 year old on a flashy purple scooter and instructs them to now call her Cecily, is a wake-up catalyst. It was a delight hanging out with this bunch as they navigated real life, their aging bodies, did lunch, and surmounted obstacles. Easy? No. Life isn't always easy but they had each other's backs and, with the inspiration of a memorable teacher, looked forward to the future. 

I can't thank #NetGalley and #BoldwoodBooks enough for introducing me this author. I loved it and while it'll obviously appeal more to golden oldies like me, there's a great deal within that should appeal to readers of all ages. I'll definitely be looking for Leigh's books to read in the future. I think I'll go round up some ladies and do lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creating Reading Rainbow: The Untold Story of a Beloved Children's Series, by Barbara Irwin, Tony Buttino, Pam Johnson

Publication June 18, 2024 I knew immediately I was going to thoroughly enjoy this book as I read Barbara Irwin's preface. Her warm remem...