500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Sunday, April 2, 2023

Nature Smarts Workbook, Ages 10-12, from The Environmental Educators of Mass Audubon

 

Available May 30, 2023

Seeing verses observing. 

That's how the book begins, encouraging readers to fine tune their observation skills and really see all the wonders that surround us. For me, that was the key element of this amazingly fascinating workbook. Quite frankly, I'll note, although it's targeting the ages of 10-12, grown-ups of all ages may find it interesting. I definitely liked that after an introduction, it encouraged us to feel free to jump around from section to section. Whether you read straight through or jump around, it can definitely help readers see things others miss. 

I won't detail the sections but will note that they emphasize the process, the way to really see what your eyes may be seeing but your brain isn't processing, so to speak. Readers are encouraged to select or observe specific things, look for likenesses and differences, and how to keep track of their findings. For example, is that tree bark smoother or rougher than another? You'll even learn how to do a bark rubbing, which I regret to say I'd never really heard of although it's similar to how gravestone rubbings are done. You'll also learn how to transect areas to take detailed observations, not to mention tell if a plant is male or female of both. Come on. Bet you never considered that any more than I had. Lots more, much of which is described in the publisher's blurb.

Living in Alaska, I must admit to examining the countless moose tracks in the remaining snow just before I sat down to type. I also learned how heavy an eagle's nest may become after years of being added to by the eagles. I'll never look again at an eagle's nest way up high quite the same. Although I'm not of a scientific bent, I found the info within interesting although, quite frankly,I question the target age. The vocabulary, isn't always simple, although that in many ways (says the retired teacher in me) is a teaching tool, too. Finally, ways to become involved with community efforts to study nature are given. 

Bottom line, a plus for any classroom or student (or adults) who wants to learn to see, really see the world around them. Thanks #NetGalley and StoreyPublishing for reminding me that there's lots of be learned on even my daily dog walks. The climate connections made were quite timely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creating Reading Rainbow: The Untold Story of a Beloved Children's Series, by Barbara Irwin, Tony Buttino, Pam Johnson

Publication June 18, 2024 I knew immediately I was going to thoroughly enjoy this book as I read Barbara Irwin's preface. Her warm remem...