500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Sunday, January 1, 2023

The Light We Carry: Overcoming in Uncertain Times (AUDIO), by Michelle Obama, author and narrator

 

I'm delighted to make this my first review of 2023. I sat down with so many things I wanted to say but, as I thought about it, I opted to keep it simple. This one is a must for anyone who has ever wondered, "Am I good enough?" Or, those who have ever feel discouraged, despair, and questioned our own efforts to make the world a better place. 

I like Michelle Obama. Oh, I've always admired her. I read her first book, "Becoming", and felt like I was peeking into her life. This time, we're peering into her soul. It's no secret that she doesn't like the political life, but hearing her read her words of her turmoil knowing she had the last call on her husband's presidential run, plus the complex feelings she experienced becoming a frequent target, made me want to give her a hug. Then, reading of how covid impacted this very prominent family and her worries for not just family but the nation as the then president failed to address the pandemic, is a stark reminder that we really were, and still are, in this together. She's open, candid, and allows her vulnerability to show. Yes, I like this woman and want to give her a hug.

I won't detail the ideas she shares that helped her work through what she admits was at least a low level state of depression, but they all seem to come back to one thing: One step at a time. We can't save the world in one day, change things in one day, or change others' minds in one day, but we can take small, measured steps forward. As a former fan of crochet, I smiled when she talked about learning to knit and how it helped center her, remind her that small steps forward are progress. 

Oh, there's so much more, but I'd strongly suggest you read this one for yourself. As she notes, one person's solution or suggestions won't solve everyone's needs, but hopefully you'll find something here to smooth and soothe your road. Even better, get the audio version as I did.. You'll relate to her obvious vulnerability and fears as well as her steps forward, even when she was frightened.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Stranger in the Library (Lighthouse Library Mystery #11), by Eva Gates

  Publication June 4, 2024 Finding a dead body in the fish pond wasn't on Lucy's to-do list.  Just back from her honeymoon in Paris,...