500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Monday, January 16, 2023

The History of Sled Dogs in North America: From the Bering Sea to the Atlantic Ocean, by Helen Hegener


Published by Northern Lights Media 

First hint, don't let yourself be intimidated by the size/length of the book. While you can certainly sit down and read it straight through from cover to cover, my hunch is most will do what I have found myself doing. Flipping about. Enjoying the photos. Seeing a name or phrase that catches my eye (for me, it was the sled dogs in the Olympics that initially stopped my idle, curious flipping), you'll read that section and perhaps the next...or move on. Simply enjoy. 
 
Best savored in small bites, sampling here and there, moving on or coming back for more. As a history buff and major, I find the history alone fascinating. Toss in my own "all things dog" mantra, and this one will keep my attention for a long time. Heck, there are even some fascinating, shh, humans in here, too. Better yet, all exhaustingly researched and referenced, with a handy index. 
 
My Amazon ReviewReviewed in the United States 🇺🇸 on January 23, 2023
I was stunned when the book arrived from the author. So much information, such fascinating, historic photos, and incredible stories of the interactions of sled dogs and humans. To be honest, my first response, after reading the intro by an Iditarod champion, Joe May, and seeing the lovely photo it inspired from artist Veryl Goodnight, was to simply flip through and savor not just Goodnight's artwork illustrating the info within, but historic photos, artwork, newspaper articles, and more that seemed to grace every page or two. I decided that was the best way to devour the book, in small bits and pieces. I was initially stopped by the sled dogs in the Olympics title, something I knew about but little more than it had happened. What a delight to now know far more. Having met explorer, musher, writer Norman Vaughan many times, I off course, found myself pausing at the section featuring him but met many others, before unknown to me. I also know far more about not just the history of my home state of Alaska through the history shared by Hegener, but how sled dogs have impacted the nation as a whole.

Bottom line, whether a dog fan, history buff, or someone just curious about past lives in the north, this book is a must. Having the info in one place is wonderful, but to have it in one place with such an array of illustrations and historical writings is amazing. Kudos to Helen Hegener for what was obviously a work of love. 5 stars plus and I'll even toss in four paws and a tail wag from my own non-sled dog, Daisy.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Simone Biles, by Maria Isabel Sanchez Vegara

  Publication June 25, 2024 It'd be hard to find anyone who'd argue that Simone Biles isn't gymnastics' G.O.A.T., so it was ...