500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Friday, January 13, 2023

Irish Coffee Murder, by Leslie Meier; Lee Hollis; Barbara Ross AUDIO

  AUDIOBOOK     10 h, 15 m

Publication Jan. 24, 2023

EDITED TO ADD AUDIO REVIEW: I'll keep this short. Although I'd read an ebook of this, it'd been long enough that I'd forgotten some pertinent details, so I looked forward to listening to the audio version. It's also always fun to see if the narrator's voice, in this case, Callie Beaulieu, matches your mental idea of what the characters might sound like in real life. This book tossed in the added challenge of having three different stories and sets of characters for her to work with. She did a good job and although I wasn't quite as taken with her interpretation of Lucy Stone in "Irish Coffee Murder", it actually worked for me. It gave me another angle to approach Lucy's personality, one that I'll take into consideration the next time I spend some time in Tinker's Cove with Lucy and her friends and family.

Given that that was the first of the three mysteries included in this book, it was interesting to hear the differences in tone and confidence in the next two stories. Given that the audio version lasted 10 h, 15 m, and had multiple characters, Beaulieu did an excellent job. Heck, she even managed to set the mood for the ghost stories of"Perked Up", by Barbara Ross. Bottom line, this audio version by #TantorAudio was a fun visit with three favorite authors and held my attention even though I'd read the ebook version some time ago. Thanks #TantorAudio and #RBMedia for letting me sit in on some favorite characters' chat as they put their minds to solving some murders, even one of the coldest cases in town.

ORIGINAL EBOOK REVIEW

The luck of the Irish was definitely with me. Not only a collection of mysteries built around the theme of Irish Coffee, but by three of my favorite authors and sets of characters. I definitely felt like I'd found the reader's pot of gold.

I won't detail the plot except to note that each author shines with their own voice and style. Even better, you don't have to be a former reader of that author to thoroughly enjoy the story, all of which include tidbits from past adventures but don't rely on them for the solution. Mysteries include the death of a single mother of a talented young Irish dancer, poisoning of an up-and-coming stand-up comedian, and a very cold case, as in over a century old unsolved crime. The collection provides a great introduction to the various series and characters, including seeming to introduce some newcomers. In other words, a winning combination for both authors and readers. ENJOY! I know I did.

Thanks #NetGalley and #KensingtonBooks - #KensingtonCozies for inviting me over for some Irish Coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book of the Month, by Jennifer Probst

  Publication Ocotober 22, 2024 This was one of those books that I was either totally into or meh on at various times. Don't get me wron...