500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Give Fudge a Chance, by Nancy CoCo


 Publication May 23, 2023

Mackinac Island has a system of tunnels? Dang, I didn't know that. Thus, Nancy Coco has been successful in checking off one of the things that makes me most enjoy a book, it teaches me something I didn't know. Mackinac Island itself sounds like a bit of a magical, unique place. Based on what I've read, both here and in a quick search, yes, the chief mode of transportation there is bicycle, foot, or via carriage. As a horse crazy kid, I'm thinking I'd love to visit.

But, oh, yeah, the mystery. Addie McMurphy and her pregnant best friend Jenn almost literally stumble across a dead body in the fair's haunted house. Soon after, Addie's delight at winning the best fudge competition is ruined even further by accusations of having cheated by the winner of the past twenty years, Christine, and when a body hurls off the top of her building. Here was where I learned something else. Are you familiar with parkour? I wasn't and have to admit that hurling myself across high spaces (just a part of it) from one high place to the next holds no appeal. But, it's a real thing.

In any case, who killed Mike, the dead man in the haunted house? Is there any connection to the death of the parkour fanatic? Why are there signs sprouting up all over town taking sides for or against Addie or Christine? Will the Book Club ladies get involved in the investigation? If you're a past reader of the series, you definitely know the answer to that one. Addie's boyfriend, Rex, town police chief, warns her away from investigating but, well, one has a hunch he knows he's wasting his breath. Addie just can't help asking questions. Will Addie manage to get her trusty dog's daily walks in? She does seem busy. Why is handsome Harry being so helpful to Addie, even talking her into....well, never mind. You'll have to read the book to find out what Harry was able to talk Addie into doing. How will all this set with Rex?

Who is....oh, enough teasers. You'll thoroughly enjoy this book, not to mention the delicious sounding recipes interspersed throughout. I liked the fact that Addie had to show up to work, too, not always true in cozies. The characters are likable, seem like people you might know, and, oh, did I mention Addie is being tailed by some popular pod casters? Bottom line, lots going on to keep you entertained and enjoying your visit to Mackinac Island. 

Thanks #NetGalley and #KensingtonBooks- #KensingtonCozies for inviting me to spend some time with Addie and the rest on Mackinac Island. I'm thinking a carriage ride is more my speed than tunnel exploration or parkour, however.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Murder on Devil's Pond (Hummingbird Hollow B&B Mystery #1), by Ayla Rose

  Publication July 9, 2024 How well do we ever know other people? This is a promising start to a brand new series. I'm not quite sure it...