500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Monday, January 9, 2023

Rebel Girls Animal Allies, by Rebel Girls


 Publication April 4, 2023

I only discovered this series recently and am thoroughly enjoying it. Weirdly enough, although I expected it to be the woman involved with horses that would grab my attention, I found myself repeatedly flashing back to the very first entry on Amanda Vincent and Heather Koldewey. Well, actually it was sorta horse related. Seahorses. I've seen them in various aquariums and always smile watching them seemingly languidly drifting through the water, occasionally wrapping their tails around a clump of seaweed or whatever to suck in food. They look so peaceful, not to mention that it's the males who give birth. Both trapped by fishing nets and hunted for medicinal reasons, they have been the focus of Vincent and Koldewey.

It was fascinating to read about the routes these remarkable women took to find their passion and make a difference. I recall being saddened as a child viewing monkeys and bears jailed in small cages at an area zoo. I was too young to take action, at least too young to realize I might be able to make a difference in their lives, but people like Bella Lacke didn't let age stop her. She wrote a letter to someone who could help. As a child, Jane Goodall's beloved stuffed chimp, Jubilee, surely hinted at her future. Autistic and sent to a special school, Temple Grandin discovered her connection to horses. Birute Caldikas was inspired by the first book she recalls checking out of the library, "Curious George". 

Twenty-five animal allies are showcased. They provide inspiration and, who knows, maybe the sense of "If they can do it, so can I" that just might lead us to the next generation of astounding Rebel Girls. If, as an adult reader, you find the stories somewhat limited in content, I'll also note that an icon is provided for scanning to take you to fuller stories online. I didn't check them all out but the ones I did make a point of visiting were worth the effort. 

Bottom line, although new to this book series, I'm liking it more and more as I become better acquainted. It's a plus, too, that not only are those showcased from around the world and of different races and backgrounds but 25 different artists from around the world were used to illustrate the different stories. Thank you so much #NetGalley and #RebelGirls for allowing me to visit and get to know these remarkable women. The message I got was that we can make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Women in the Valley of the Kings: The Untold Story of Women Egyptologists in the Gilded Age, by Kathleen Sheppard

 Publication July 16, 2024 If you're into Egyptology or archeology, this fascinating book should be on your shelf. On the other hand, if...