500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Friday, May 20, 2022

Canter with a Killer, by Amber Camp

 


Publication Nov. 8, 2022

As a horse crazy gal from way back, I felt an immediate connection to Mallory Martin. Kudos to new author Amber Camp for having her associated with a horse rescue. Even though I wasn't comfortable with Mallory's tactics to find the real killer of cranky neighbor Albert Cunningham, not to mention that it was Mallory who created the conflict that made old friend Grady/the police the enemy, I rather imagine I wouldn't always be rational if I were the suspect in a murder, either. 

I found myself liking not just Mallory but friends like Lanie and Bill and workers at the rescue, Ashley and Tanner, as well as legal eagles Ethan and Andy It was interesting to watch the various relationships as they emerged and developed, even as hurtful small town gossip created additional problems. And, oh, the horses. I loved that the author described each horse, its history, and strengths and weaknesses, even explaining the names given them. That was a real plus for me as a former horse owner/lover. Her lovable dog, Bingo, who has never met a stranger, reminding me of one I once owned, and Biscuit, an absolutely adorable donkey with a personality that wouldn't allow him to be ignored, round out the rescue critters.

Mallory is shocked to discover Albert Cunningham has been killed. Even worse, she finds herself a suspect. Why? Wouldn't the girlfriend be a more likely suspect? Or, could the environmental activist have done it? What does a lost glove have to do with anything? Maybe the neighbor angry at Albert for blocking him off from his own property? Could the photos Mallory took early on reveal a clue? Why is everyone so convinced Mallory is guilty? Why is Andy's receptionist so cool toward Mallory? What will Mallory's father have to say about all this when he gets home from his cruise? For that matter, how will her daughter react about being kept in the dark about the situation? And, oh, so many questions but, nope, not telling you the answers. If you're a horse lover, you'll thoroughly enjoy this one. If your simply a mystery fan, you will, too. I'm looking forward to more from this author.

Thanks #NetGalley and #CrookedLaneBooks for introducing me to Mallory's Hillspring Horse Rescue story. And, hey, give Biscuit a couple extra virtual treats!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Puzzles, Purrs & Murder (Dickens & Christie #10). by Kathy Manos Penn

  Available early June, 2024 I found myself deliberately slowing down my reading pace about mid-way as I didn't want the story to end. A...