500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Sunday, May 15, 2022

High Times in the Low Parliament, by Kelly Robson

Bemused. Confused. Intrigued. Those words describe my initial reactions to "High Times in the Low Parliament". It took awhile for the light to flip on in my mind but once it did, I was definitely intrigued. Who knew the fairy world was so politically charged.


In fact, it wasn't until my mind began to make connections between the disdain and attempted destruction of the Low Parliament and, hmm, maybe NATO that my mind began to make sense of it all. It's an interesting if bewildering world that Lana Baker finds herself deposited in for the sake of a few kisses. Yes, lots of lady on lady type action here but, honestly, it was secondary. The politics and complicated relationships between the humans and fairy characters, not to mention the multitude of factions within the political body are what made the story interesting to me. I didn't even particularly like Lana as the book began but gradually found myself warming to her, then admiring her pluck and smarts as she navigated the complex world she found herself inside. In other words, she matures and grew on me. Same for Bugbite, the cranky fairy that Lana befriends. They're far more complex characters than one imagines at first and their growth and concern for all, not just themselves, made me care about what was and might happen to them.

The political world they inhabit is, well, full of turmoil. Much talk, endless posturing, arguing, finger pointing, and grand gestures that all come to naught. Sounds a great deal like our modern political world doesn't it, even though this one is set in 18th century. I doubt that the author had invasions and threats against NATO in mind as she wrote but given current circumstances, it was difficult to erase that thought from my mind once that light bulb went off. Lana, who admits to not really ever even trying to think shows more common sense than most, coming up with ideas on how to avoid being drowned, the eventual fate of all there if agreement isn't reached. So, given the fate awaiting them, why are deputies of the many, many factions still arguing? To hear their own voices? A grasp for power even if others die as a result? Power or maybe the power to make history? Or end it? Is chaos really more effective than calm? Will anyone listen to reason or are all fated to a dreadful end. But, wait, how are the fractious deputies perhaps thinking to have it all, power and survival?

You're going to have to read the book to find out. Read it with an open mind. For instance, although I don't swing that way, I didn't find the lady on lady flirtation offensive. It certainly fits this seemingly all female world. You may even find different connections than I eventually did. As noted, I was initially bewildered and didn't even like the main character but things change. Isn't that what it's all about? Change for the better?

Thanks to #NetGalley and #Macmillan-#Tor/Forge, #Tordotcom for offering me the chance to read the book. Admittedly, I wasn't sure as I began and it seemed slow but found myself thinking about it while doing other things, a sure sign that I was hooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Puzzles, Purrs & Murder (Dickens & Christie #10). by Kathy Manos Penn

  Available early June, 2024 I found myself deliberately slowing down my reading pace about mid-way as I didn't want the story to end. A...