500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Wednesday, May 4, 2022

Mint Chocolate Murder (Ice Cream Shop Mysteries #2), by Meri Allen

 

Castles with rumors of a weeping ghost, locked door mysteries, ice cream, royalty, bees, and, oh, yeah, a murder. In the locked room. And that somehow just scratches the surface. There's also ice cream.

Riley Rhodes may be the manager of the Udderly Delightful Ice Cream Shop but she's also a former CIA librarian, one who did the occasional covert mission. I found her rather nervous and a bit impulsive to have had such training but, shrug, what do I know? Anyway, hired to create a Scottish inspired dessert featuring ice cream for an art show, she finds herself at Penniman's Moy Mull Castle when the pretentious, manipulative photographer appearing at the show is murdered. In a locked room, no less. The only known key was still tucked away in the cabinet it is stored in. Security cameras show no one entering the dungeon, er, conference room, other than the victim. Nor do old blue prints handed over to the police show any hidden rooms or passageways. Who killed Adam Blasco? Equally puzzling, how?

The whys seem to be numerous. His photographs are unsettling and he seems to treat everyone with scorn....unless he sees a way to use them. Riley's young friend Willow is seemingly targeted, which is upsetting to not just Riley but Willow's boyfriend Luca. Could Luca have killed Adam in a fit of jealousy? What evidence is found that puts him on the suspect list? Why does Adam's assistant Vye go missing when the body is found? What are Max and Bree up to? What happened to the missing photo called Dallas? Again, how? Could the castle, made from stones brought from Scotland, really be haunted? Is the Weeping Lady real or just a figment of imagination? And, can jovial, personable Prentiss be hiding a secret? Like, he killed Adam? What startling discovery is made about hostess Maud's brief marriage to Adam? And, oh, so much more. Seriously, the twists and turns had twists and turns. Multiple suspects, so many in fact that I had difficulty keeping who was who straight, and surprises at every turn.

Despite my initial confusion keeping the multiple characters straight, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Once we got past the initial background introductions, the pace was quick and I found it hard to put the book aside. Okay, who am I kidding? I stayed up way too late reading last night. Like Riley, I wanted to know "whodunit" and how. Locked room mysteries are a favorite of mystery readers and this one did not disappoint. And, oh, did I mention that there is a spoiled diva of a cat, Sprinkles, who gets her own side story? Lots to like as well as ponder. I'm betting you'll like this one but, well, don't stay up too late reading.

Thanks to #NetGalley and #StMartinsPress for giving me an all access pass to Moy Mull Castle. Having Riley as my guide was intense but fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Puzzles, Purrs & Murder (Dickens & Christie #10). by Kathy Manos Penn

  Available early June, 2024 I found myself deliberately slowing down my reading pace about mid-way as I didn't want the story to end. A...