500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Monday, May 16, 2022

A Colorful Scheme (Pen & Ink #4), by Krista Davis


Publishes August 30, 2022

A wedding camouflaged as a party, a lost and found bride, and, oh, yeah, murder. This is what faces coloring book artist and book shop manager Florrie Fox as the book opens. I was hooked from the beginning and found myself compelled to finish. I liked Florrie and the surrounding cast of characters. Each came off as a unique, well rounded personality with their own quirks, strengths and weaknesses and seemed like people I'd like to know. The plot was face paced and multi-layered. Heck, I lost track of how many mysteries were revealed and solved by the time to book ended. Loved it.

I won't detail the plot, a synopsis is easily found elsewhere, but will say that what starts as party crashers ends with a seemingly innocuous man dead in the pool. Florrie is stunned to find herself a suspect in not just this death but that of an admittedly annoying wannabe journalist who had been stalking her. While I could understand why Sgt. Bridges might focus on her as a suspect, the ol' wrong place, wrong time thing, that did seem a bit obsessive. Boyfriend and police officer Eric noted that it was Bridges first big case and he was frustrated, a thought that while it didn't make Florrie any happier, did calm her own nerves and frustration somewhat. A highlight of the book was the introduction of Jezebel Fish, grandmother of Eric's friend Fish Gordon. Jezebel is a force onto herself and I hope to see more of her in future books. Yes, I'm already looking forward to seeing what is next for Florrie and her friends, particularly those who write. Now I'm off to find my crayons to color that lovely cover art.

Top notch. Put it on your "Must Read" list. Thanks to #NetGalley and #KensingtonBooks for sending me the invite to the party/wedding and letting me hang out with Florrie, Jezebel, and the rest. Loved every minute of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Puzzles, Purrs & Murder (Dickens & Christie #10). by Kathy Manos Penn

  Available early June, 2024 I found myself deliberately slowing down my reading pace about mid-way as I didn't want the story to end. A...