500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Wednesday, April 27, 2022

Steeped to Death (Witches' Brew Mystery #1), by Gretchen Rue


Publishing Sept. 6, 2022

I loved this book. I'd be lying if I told you upfront that I would love it because, well, I always tend to be a bit skeptical of new to me authors that offer us magical mysteries, so to speak. I'm glad I was wrong and, quite frankly, have added author Gretchen Rue and the Witches' Brew Mystery series to my "must read" list.

Phoebe is in town to claim an inheritance from her late aunt. She's inherited both an old Victorian house, Lane End House, and her aunt's shop. And, oh, a cat named Bob. Turns out she's inherited more than that from her aunt, actually, not even counting the renter in the shop apartment. In the process of discovering how her world has changed, she copes with Dierdre who is not just pushy and obnoxious about demanding Phoebe sell her the house and shop but seems unable to take no for an answer. Then, a dead body is discovered at the shop's back door.

Who killed the man, whose name isn't even known to Phoebe initially? Why? Was he trying to rob the shop? Was he working with Dierdre? Why does Rich, who turns out to be an old friend from her childhood, keep turning up in unexpected places? How can Phoebe be both wary of and attracted to him at the same time? Why is he there? Why is the shoe store guy so hostile? Is there really a recipe that will make someone tell the truth? After a frightening nightmare, why does Phoebe go out for a run the next morning? What does she discover during lunch with Rich? Will Honey be helpful or just sell her a crystal? How many letters did her aunt write to Phoebe? Why.... oh, never mind. You'll have to read the book for the answers to these and many, many other questions. I went from skeptical and unsure about this book to loving it and you might find yourself doing the same. And, did I mention there are recipes at the end. No, not magical ones, sorry.

Thanks to #NetGalley and #CrookedLaneBooks for allowing me to get to know Phoebe and her new friends. I'm looking forward to seeing more of this intriguing small town and its residents.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Murder at the Rusty Anchor (A Cozy Capers Book Group Mystery 6), by Maddie Day

   Publication June 25, 2024 Not exactly the way Mackenzie "Mac" Almeida wanted to start her work day. She knew it couldn't be...