500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Thursday, April 14, 2022

Fireside Reading of A Study in Scarlet, by Arthur Conan Doyle (audio)



Audio version read by Gildart Jackson. 

What a delightful reminder that Dr. Watson and Sherlock Holmes didn't just spring forth from the womb as the dynamic working team we all know. Written in 1887, it first appeared as an installment series in a magazine and, well, was less than a hit. Some hits obviously take a while to build up steam, I guess. I won't detail the plot, it is a classic after all and easily found, but will say that long-time readers of the series might do well to dive into this one to freshen up their memories. We've seen so many depictions of the duo on stage and screen that I found I'd forgotten details.

Besides, listening to Gildart Jackson's reading of the story is fun and reminds us how odd Holmes really must have seemed to not just John Watson but readers meeting Holmes for the first time, too. I must admit that I wasn't fond of the music heard between chapters but am still undecided if that was because of the music itself or my own impatience to get on with it. All in all, however, despite the big leap from London to the US that the setting takes us through, I enjoyed this and will be on the lookout for more interpretations from Gildart Jackson.

Thanks to #NetGalley and #DreamscapeMedia for inviting me back in time to meet the orginal Holmes and Watson.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Murder at the Rusty Anchor (A Cozy Capers Book Group Mystery 6), by Maddie Day

   Publication June 25, 2024 Not exactly the way Mackenzie "Mac" Almeida wanted to start her work day. She knew it couldn't be...