500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Friday, April 22, 2022

Poppy Harmon and the Backstabbing Bachelor (A Desert Flowers Mystery #4), by Lee Hollis

 


I felt the tense, uneasy feeling Poppy Harmon felt as her stalker began to track and stalk her by any means possible. Author Lee Hollis did an excellent job putting readers into her shoes as she began to look over her shoulders and wonder what each phone call or message would bring. Poppy's strength of character, however, shines forth as she is determined to go about her life on her own terms, not the stalker's. True, I also felt like she made a few unwise choices, like not getting out of town with her boyfriend when he almost begged her to go with him, but, hey, this is a cozy mystery. Putting the main character in danger is all part of the fun, right?

Although this is the fourth in the Desert Flowers Mystery series, I'd never ventured into Poppy's world despite reading several Hollis books. I liked Poppy and her friends and admired her willingness to do whatever was necessary to bring down the bad guy. Speaking of the bad guy, Hollis kept me guessing until the big reveal. I won't detail the plot as I'm sure it's detailed many times over elsewhere but found it interesting and timely. Readers beware, however, if you honestly believe reality shows are, well, real. You get a bit of a behind the scenes look at how they are scripted, er, developed. Poor Matt. As noted, Hollis created the atmosphere to make me keep flipping pages as the story moved along nicely. I'll definitely be making up for missing the earlier books of this series asap.

Thanks #NetGalley and #KensingtonBooks for introducing me to Poppy. I'm looking forward to seeing what her next challenging performance will be

No comments:

Post a Comment

Murder at the Rusty Anchor (A Cozy Capers Book Group Mystery 6), by Maddie Day

   Publication June 25, 2024 Not exactly the way Mackenzie "Mac" Almeida wanted to start her work day. She knew it couldn't be...