500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Monday, April 4, 2022

Holy Chow (Andy Carpenter #25), by David Rosenfelt


As usual, once I started reading, I couldn't stop until I finished. This is the 25th book in the Andy Carpenter series and I'd say that has pretty much held true for all of them. Now, true, I had to delay starting because, well, I needed to take my own dog for a walk. Andy would understand. I was drawn to the series because of the dog connection but have stayed for the self-deprecating humor, witty dialogue, and well-defined characters. Hey, we even learn a bit more about Marcus who, to be honest, I'm about half convinced is Superman in disguise.

As usual, the plot initially sounds simple. Andy's Tara Foundation adopted out Lion, a senior Chow, to Rachel Morehouse. Rachel calls him out of the blue one day to ask him to be sure Lion is cared for if something happens to her and her stepson can't take Lion. Andy thinks nothing more about it until he's notified Rachel has died and he should show up at the reading of her will. He goes, mostly thinking he's there to pick up the dog. He finds out there that Rachel was extremely rich and left $2M to the Tara Foundation. Then, her stepson, Tony, who actually adores the dog, is arrested for her murder just as the reading of the will is about to start.

That's when it gets complicated. Andy has been trying for years to retire, winds up as Tony's lawyer. Who killed Rachel Morehouse? Why? That's the big question Andy must answer to successfully defend his client. Speaking of his client, why was Tony estranged from the family? How is the family business connected? What does Sam discover while hacking his way through records? Do we really need to know exactly how late a plane lands each flight? What could that have to do with Rachel's murder? Dirty money? Drugs? How many times has Marcus saved Andy's life over the lifespan of this series? I don't know. The question just struck me. How do all these things connect? And, oh, there's more but you're going to have to read the book to find the answers to these and other questions.

Thank you #NetGalley and #SMB, #StMartinsBooks, for inviting me to drop in on Andy, Laurie, and the dogs. I thoroughly enjoyed every moment, well, aside from that really scary moment but, well, Marcus was there. He'd have saved me, too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Murder at the Rusty Anchor (A Cozy Capers Book Group Mystery 6), by Maddie Day

   Publication June 25, 2024 Not exactly the way Mackenzie "Mac" Almeida wanted to start her work day. She knew it couldn't be...