500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Tuesday, December 28, 2021

Murder, It Seams, by Reagan Davis


 I've followed this series from day one and just like the previous books, I loved this one. I found it not just an intriguing mystery, well thought out and with lots of twists and turns, but one that showcased the characters well. Ironically, given that main character Megan has never much liked Karla, it's Karla who adds an interesting summation of Megan at one point, saying "you've taken a community of small-town busybodies and whipped up a network of supportive family and friends who take care of each other." Given that network's diligence when it came time to keep Megan safe from the killer, that was telling.

I also wound up liking Karla. She's smart and had an edge that makes her come off to many as snarky and even mean. Megan has always resented her ability to lob compliments that aren't compliments, for instance, and do it with apparent glee. Yet, when forced to work with Karla to solve a murder, one where Karla is a suspect, Megan discovers another side to Karla. She learns how caring about others Karla is and is quick to follow her instincts that Karla could not be a killer. Oh, the snark is still there but they come to respect and, yes, maybe even like each other by the time all is said and done. Karla even finds a major clue that points the finger at the guilty party at the end. Nope, not telling. Getting to that point was half the fun as Megan and Karla traded zingers and heart-felt feelings with the other characters blending in and out of the action. All while solving a crime with a little help from those "busybodies" Karla referenced.

I was kept guessing and switched main suspects several times but, as luck would have it, was interrupted and had to put aside the book for a couple days. Upon my return to it I was right at the point the clues began to make me suspect the eventual culprit but that was sheer luck and an "It's too easy" gut instinct at my then main suspect. Kudos to Reagan Davis for weaving together such an intriguing, timely case while letting us get to know the characters better as real people. They are people I wish I knew and I'm looking forward to Megan's next adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Olive You to Death (A Tourist Trap Mystery, #16), by Lynn Cahoon

 Publication June 4, 2024 Let's see, missing bride, hidden treasure, and, oh, yeah, a dead body. I mean, it isn't like Jill doesn...