500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Wednesday, December 22, 2021

Batter Off Dead (A Country Store Mystery #10), by Maddie Day


I realized as I began to read this book that I've obviously read at least some of the previous books in the series. I did, dang it, miss the one where Robbie and Abe got married but in the grand scheme of things, it didn't matter. This one stands alone nicely. It brings back characters I remembered and dived into an old mystery, who killed police chief Buck Bird's mother so many years ago. That mystery is brought painfully to the surface when another murder occurs in a frighteningly similar manner. Robbie, even as busy as she is as a new wife and popular eatery owner, is soon pulled into the mystery.

Even a threatening message that she is being watched and should back off doesn't detour her although, quite frankly, I don't think I'd have been merrily peddling about on my bicycle as frequently as she does given that sort of threat. Suspects and red herrings are numerous and glimpses of the past collide with the present it seems as if everyone's stress level has risen. True, Buck is still consistently hungry but, hey, some things never change. One of the things that hasn't changed is Robbie's empathy for others, even passing up chances to pursue leads when it might disturb potential witnesses. I recall having always liked Robbie as a character in this past books and this just confirmed my take on her. She might confront a killer face to face but upset a disabled child? No.

Bottom line, I liked Robbie and those about her. They are loyal, Her town of South Lick is the sort of small town we all envision as the ideal place to live, even with its limitations. People know and care about each other. They also look to Robbie to help solve crimes, which is both flattering and cumbersome to Robbie, I think. She's no super woman and shows fear as she hides behind closed doors and drawn curtains at one point but, in true Robbie fashion, goes to work as always the next day, even knowing a murderer may walk through her door as a customer. How will it all turn out? Will solving one crime solve another? You'll have to read the book to find out. I'm not telling but you'll enjoy the ride and all the tasty food described as you read.

Thanks to #NetGalley and #KensingtonBooks for re-introducing me to Robbie and her circle of friends. I enjoyed it and have made a note to look for future adventures. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Cursed Writer (The Baker Street Mysteries, #2), by Holly Hepburn

  Publication October 17, 2024 Journey back with me to 1930s London. Harriet/Harry White has a job that sounds at once both mind numbing ted...