500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Friday, December 24, 2021

Finlay Donovan Knocks 'Em Dead, by Elle Cosimano


Buckle up tight. You're about to go on a wild ride with Finlay Donovan. Christopher "was dead to begin with. There was no doubt about that." And, Finlay killed him. You'll have to read the book to find out who Christopher was.

That is basically how the story opens although I've borrowed Charles Dicken's words. From there on out, it only gets crazier. It's a fun, entertaining ride. Don't bother trying to make sense of it all. Just enjoy the ride. Author Elle Cosimano draws us in from the first paragraph and the plot, which is rather a roller coaster ride, moves along at a rapid, head-spinning race pace from beginning to end. Oddly enough, it all makes a sort of sense in the end, even with loose ends remaining. There's always the next book, right?

I'm not sure I'd enjoy having Finlay as a friend, she seems to live in a whirlwind, but I liked her, nevertheless. Her friendship with friend and nanny Vero is solid and we learn more about each as the story progresses. Her family reminds me a bit of Stephanie Plum's in that Janet Evanovich series, not to mention the two competing love interests in Finlay's life, one a cop. The feel of the entire series is very Plum-ish, for lack of a real word. Given how much I enjoyed this book, that is high praise for both writers. True, the story line doesn't remotely seem realistic at times but, hey, just enjoy the ride. I do think that had I read the first book in the series it all might make more sense to me but, well, maybe not. It's all about the characters and antics, after all, with some solid friendships as an added bonus. Bottom line, a fun, entertaining read that I thoroughly enjoyed.

Thanks so much to #NetGalley and #StMartinsPress for the ARC and introduction to Finlay. I'm looking forward to more of her adventures.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Olive You to Death (A Tourist Trap Mystery, #16), by Lynn Cahoon

 Publication June 4, 2024 Let's see, missing bride, hidden treasure, and, oh, yeah, a dead body. I mean, it isn't like Jill doesn...