Publication Oct. 13, 2026
By sheer chance, a post popped up on my social media this morning featuring "Calvin and Hobbs". Since it was obviously for a Sunday edition of a paper, it was in color. The thing that immediately caught my eye was how similar the artwork for the Calvin cartoon was to the art style used in this book while also reminding me that Christopher Robin and Winnie-the-Pooh weren't the only intrepid team of an imaginative boy and a stuffed animal. I have to admit to largely skimming through Pooh in my childhood having decided early one that dogs and horses were my thing, so I can't really say with any authority that these tales are true to the original in the word-for-word sense. What I can say, however, is that they capture the sweet innocence of a boy living out a vivid, imaginary life in his head with his trusty stuffed bear Pooh by his side. I'm sure it's no accident that in most of the illustrations we see of them walking together they're hand-in-hand, not one traipsing after the other. True, Pooh does remind us of his ability to find trouble but always finds support and help from his friends. There's something soothing about that, hence the tales remain their sweet, reassuring selves.
As noted, while not an avid Pooh fan, I didn't quite get that burst of warm remembrance true fans will get revisiting this reincarnation, I'm sure it is there for both old and new fans. That missing ingredient is on me, not the book, please note. The illustrations are well done, largely in soft, can we say dreamy colors, and relatively realistic enough to capture the imaginary settings without distracting from the action. I'll never tire of the contrast between the imaginary duo of Christopher Robin and Pooh walking hand-in-hand off to another adventure as opposed to the more realistic take of him usually dragging Pooh along as the go up the stairs or wherever in the "real world". A lovely contrast with a hint of nostalgia. Thanks #ClarksonPotter - #TenSpeedPress for allowing me this early peek of soaking myself in soothing, sweet friendship and the sense that all will be well. I thoroughly enjoyed my visit to the Hundred Acre Wood.

No comments:
Post a Comment