Available Sept. 8, 2026
What would you do if your best friend were suddenly a murder suspect? If you're like Carissa Carmichael, you plunge immediately into sleuth mode. Never mind your father is chief of police and Ashley, you're best friend, is dating a highly respected police officer. In other words, they're unlikely to see Ashley as a viable suspect. Let's just cut to the chase and say it puts Clarissa in a whirl of danger and surely complicates and adds stress to her father's already stressful job.
It's been a while since I've virtually dropped in on Oak Creek Valley. I felt comfortable and grasped relationships quickly, so should work well as a standalone. While I basically enjoyed my visit, this was one of those I neither loved nor hated. Hence a 3.5 rounded up. I'm leaning toward part of that being my own skepticism about some herbal/natural "medications". I also wasn't impressed by Clarissa's tendency to rush headlong into potentially dangerous situations, not to mention repeatedly call attention to herself in the process. In other words, the outed herself quickly as a potential problem if the killer were lurking about. Don't get me wrong. I didn't dislike the book. I simply never got past my own lack of interest in herbal matters and my general "just okay" sense of the characters. They were likable but none particularly stood out to me, even Clarissa.
That said, there was lots going on on the movie set, of course, and it's always fun to get a fly on the wall view of movie/tv productions in progress. It's a definite reminder of how much and how many people are involved capturing what we see on out screens. Another plus for me was that the author, perhaps sensing others might be dubious as I was about herbal qualities, made a point of adding a disclaimer at the end urging anyone interested not to disregard their own medical professional and simply stop taking prescribed medicines in favor of herbal/natural ones. I must even admit to having some favorite teas that I tend to utilize, albeit only as supplements. On that note, there's a recipe for a salve included as well as a delicious sounding Lemony Lavender Scone(serves 8) at the end. And, oh, I'd like to thank the author for the interesting story of how some of the names used were chosen. Thanks #BookSirens for the early peek.

No comments:
Post a Comment