Oct. 13, 2026
Who'd want to kill Meg's mother, Margaret? Okay, she is pushy and overbearing at times -- ask Meg how many times she's been volunteered for some task at the last minute -- but....murder? Fortunately they weren't successful but still created quite a stir as Christmas approached. And, to top it off, Meg practically stumbles across an old friend of Margaret's, Wanda, who was a bridesmaid at Margaret's wedding so many years ago, in the house who had been knocked on the head. Looks like Christmas decorating may not be at the top of Meg's "to do" list. Especially when the attack hits so close to home.
I won't detail the plot -- see the blurb if you're seriously curious -- but will say the author does her usual excellent job juggling the twists and turns of the plot and bringing a wide assortment of characters, both new and old, into the story. Christmas in Caerphilly is always hectic and busy with things going on and decorations being strung, so there is a lot to keep up with even without the assaults. As usual, Christmas also means Meg has a full house of friends and relatives arriving and helping out as needed, so be ready to meet a large cast. Regular readers will know most, of course, from computer wiz Kevin in his basement lair -- will he ever run out of secret cameras to put in place immediately if not sooner? -- and Rose Noire overseeing everything in her usual calming way. Rob and Delaney's now two year. And, old daughter Brynn is a delight, her love of blue jays obviously having a role in the plot. Grandfather pops up to care for the bird which, naturally, rates its own observation cam from Kevin as it heals from the attack of a larger bird. Husband Michael, alas, isn't present until near the end as he's off with drama students for the university where he teaches. Of course there are more but I'll leave you to meet them as you read.
Bottom line, another fun read from Donna Andrews, one of my go-to authors when I want a quick fix with both mystery and humor, not to mention well developed characters and intriguing animals. I mean, Poms as scent dogs? I actually thought I had it all figured out at one point, too, rare for me. Sigh. I was wrong. I definitely wasn't expecting that twist near the end. Thanks StMartin'sPress - #MinotaurBooks for continuing to allow me an early peek at Christmas in Caerphilly, including timely side stories, fun characters.

No comments:
Post a Comment