500 Book Reviews + 500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional ReaderCamp NetGalley 2024Camp NetGalley 2025Camp NetGalley 2026Frequently Auto-Approved

Monday, September 7, 2026

Legacies, Lies & Murder (Prentiss & Parker Cozy Mysteries Book 1), by Kathy Manos Penn


 Publication Sept. 22, 2026

What a delightful segue into a new series featuring characters I already know and love. Leta and Dave are currently settling into married life and expecting nothing more than a fun, entertaining literary festival. Dave, although not there as a participant, is looking forward to sorting through and helping organize his friend Gilbert's library. Leta is there mostly for fun and, of course, they brought Dickens and Christie along. For newbies, I'll reveal that they talk to Leta in a language only she understands, albeit Dave is getting better at interpreting facial expressions and movement.  Oh, didn't I mention that Christie and Dickens are a cat and dog? It's simply a fact in the story and somehow seems just normal. Shrug. In any case, they're frequently helpful when Leta and Dave get involved in an investigation although much of it reminds of nothing more than typical kids bantering and teasing each other. Great fun, however you interpret it.

As noted, I've grown to like this duo, er, foursome, over the life of the series. I have to admit to thinking I might miss the other regulars, particularly the LOL's, aka Little Old Ladies group that frequently got involved in the investigations. Heck, they were there before Dave came along. What investigation, you ask? Long time readers won't be at all surprised to hear Leta discovers a body. This time it's the body of Agatha Penrose, a caustic, often mean spirited, 90+ year old writer who announced the publication of a fictional story collection that could best be described as a very thinly disguised, gossipy tell all. Needless to say, many of the locals who could easily discern who the real people being described were, were stunned and, yes, some were quite upset. Upset enough to kill? Well, now she's dead and the suspect list is long.

That's about all I'm going to reveal of the plot. I'll simply say that Leta and Dave's reputation as sleuths precedes them. They're quickly welcomed by the local law officials and investigating rather than simply enjoying the book chatter. Heck, even Minerva, the victim's cat gets involved courtesy of Dickens' translation for Leta. Leta's ability to not just get people to open up to her but to reveal more than they might have wanted is, as always, fully on display while Dave is a research wiz. While I'm not certain which of the new to us characters will become regulars, I'm thinking Gilbert and Margery are a cinch, with police office Tamsin and supposedly retired detective Harold Tremaine seem likely. I kept wondering how the author was going to handle the reveal of a new series with old, beloved characters but, well, let's just say for now that Dave seems to have an itch for something more and it provides the link for something new in their life. That's it. Not saying anything more. You'll just have to read it to discover the impetuous for a new setting. 

Bottom line, I'm all in on this new series and recommend it highly. I love the bits of history and literary aspects Kathy Manos Penn brings to her books and it's definitely here. Of course, for me it is usually the characters and, as noted, I already was game for just about anything Leta and Dave, not to mention their furry friends. I'll happily tag along down any new path they lead. Well, maybe I'll skip the ones leading to a new body. While I'll admit I hope the old regulars play a role, at least occasionally, this appears to be another strong cast of characters surrounding Leta and Dave and it'll be fun to get to know them even better. I mean, based on Dickens and Christie's ability to train them on treat preferences, they're quick learners. Grin. Thanks to author #KathyManosPenn for gifting me this early peek at her brand new series. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Legacies, Lies & Murder (Prentiss & Parker Cozy Mysteries Book 1), by Kathy Manos Penn

 Publication Sept. 22, 2026 What a delightful segue into a new series featuring characters I already know and love. Leta and Dave are curren...