Publication Oct. 27, 2026
Although it seems like I've known who Bob Newhart was for ages, I knew little of him as a person. So, I was looking forward to reading this. I've enjoyed him off and on for years but as it turned out, I didn't even really know a third of his screen record. I also had no clue that he was best friends with Don Rickles. As a result, I even got to know a bit about the off-stage Don Rickles. Who knew he was nothing like his onstage character? Besides Rickles, famous names pop up frequently, some of which I knew well, some of which I at least recognized as having been famous albeit I was foggy on for what, and a few that went right over my head. Fame is definitely fleeting.
The fact that such a seemingly normal, average guy as Newhart not only became famous but is still eulogized speaks volumes. Married for some 60 years and father to four children who thankfully didn't make headlines of their own, he came across as the kinda guy you would enjoy hanging out with or even playing a few rounds of golf with (he was a regular, even daily golfer), all while simply assuming he'd head home to a typical home like your own. That "every man" persona was surely one of his strengths that made it so easy to appreciate his approach. No matter what character he played, he never had all the answers and frequently had a slightly confused, or at least bemused look on his face, even if he was talking to nobody on the other end of a phone call. Few would have even guessed that this guy was a one time accountant (he claimed he wasn't good at it, hence the turn to comedy) and spent a huge part of his career on the road traveling from venue to venue, even managing to overcome a dislike for flying in the process. He even performed for the Queen the year after John Lennon's famous quip to the same generally well heeled crowd the previous year about rattling their jewelry. He also spent countless nights sitting in for Johnny Carson among other shows. The author provides details of such for those who are genuinely interested which, sigh, while impressive, I found myself skipping over after awhile. There are notes with references by chapter at the end for the detail oriented fan.
Bottom line, an interesting read on a man I largely only knew as the guy who told jokes talking into a phone for many years. While I never avidly sought his appearances out, in fact I was surprised to realize I'd probably seen some of them. Like many, I did watch his two best received sitcoms, never knowing I'd missed him on the likes of even SNL In any case, it was fun to find his appearances on "Big Bang Theory" as Sheldon's long time idol Professor Proton. Fame may be fleeting for many but Bob Newhart had a way of meeting it again and again. Thanks #KensingtonPublishing - #Citadel for sharing this early peek at a man who managed to become a long lasting, much loved star with neither scandal nor controversy. Loved that the now fabled finale to his second best known sitcom sprang from a random idea of a dream sequence from his wife, Ginny. And, as usual, he made it all look so easy.

No comments:
Post a Comment