500 Book Reviews + 500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional ReaderCamp NetGalley 2024Camp NetGalley 2025Camp NetGalley 2026Frequently Auto-Approved

Tuesday, September 8, 2026

A Silly DOG Named Klaus: A Silly story for Dog Lovers about a Playful Schnauzer with a Big Personality, by Terry E Gunn, Kelli Winkler (Narrator), Faith Bianca (Illustrator)


How could I resist that face on the cover?

Seriously, I wasn't even looking to add another book to my review list but, well, a cute doggie face has that effect on me. Next thing you knew, I had it to review. I'm glad I did. Although written for quite young doggie lovers (ages 2-6), the illustrations pulled me in and should provide lots of fodder for discussion when reading to a child. I also noted that my dog displays most of the same mischief making modes, a bonus and a good sign that this one is based on reality. 

I'm happy to say the power of the pictures continues through the book. Lots of color and things to see or find, all quite realistic in nature. It's quite obvious Klaus is having fun, too, which will surely draw a giggle or two from your readers/listeners. While I was expecting lyrical verse, the text is, well, mostly plain ol' text that repeats to help build recognition, but definitely connects to the illustrations. Having had my own non-wolfish dog howl at times, I did grin at the picture of Klaus howling at the moon. Spooky dog, indeed. The words aren't ones young readers will necessarily know, so it's definitely a read-aloud, probably with lots of stops to discuss the cute illustrations and perhaps identify things like flowers, boots, doggie toys, paw prints and more that pop up as you go through the book. It'd probably be fun, too, given the frequently unknown sight words used to describe Klaus in particular situations, to pause and ask the child how they'd describe Klaus in that situation. 

Bottom line, a fun, beautifully illustrated book that not only will children love for the fun of hearing and reading it but adults may gravitate to, too, simply for the sweet visuals. It's #IndependentlyPublished and I absolutely loved the closing text thought and accompanying illustration. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Silly DOG Named Klaus: A Silly story for Dog Lovers about a Playful Schnauzer with a Big Personality, by Terry E Gunn, Kelli Winkler (Narrator), Faith Bianca (Illustrator)

How could I resist that face on the cover? Seriously, I wasn't even looking to add another book to my review list but, well, a cute dogg...