Publication Oct. 20, 2026
It's the odd couple relationship still being forged between Ruby Young and the still new to her ghostly existence Cordelia Graves that draws me to this series as much as, maybe more than the mystery itself. Don't get me wrong. There's nothing wrong with the mysteries. They're fine being a character driven reader, I find the contrast between the two main characters particularly intriguing as we watch the learning cure for a ghost with all its possibilities and "can't do" actions so unique and seemingly ever changing. That's in comparison to other works that feature ghosts with far more latitude and abilities. Here, Cordelia's tendency to blow up modern technology, too, helps keep the focus on good ol' brain power and the non-computerized aspects of finding clues and evidence. While certainly not entirely ignored, that element adds another layer of interest.
Personal connections and relationships aren't cut and dried, either. The chapters alternate between the two main characters, so we get to spend quite a bit of time with each, frequently seeing their different reactions to the same events. Ruby seems to have adapted fairly well to having a ghost as a roommate while Cordelia is still often seen flailing about trying to make sense of what really happened to her and what all this being a ghost is about. I mean, how you you react finding yourself as a ghost and having no memory of what or who killed you? Despite the still rudimentary, awkward communications between Ruby and Cordelia, Ruby finally makes it clear that she thinks it is time they focus on trying to sort it all out. And, yes, you'll gradually come to learn more of the story and events leading to Cordelia's death. In the process, we get to know more about reporter Penny, a sorta friend to Ruby, and the one who found Cordelia's body, an act that there is far more to than was known. You'll also get to spend more time with Ian, Cordelia's brother. Gotta admit, his lock picking skills may come in handy.
Bottom line, while I won't detail the plot and I'm still not quite sure that as fascinated as I find the situation that I even like the living and dead duo, I find the whole scenario intriguing. Two more unlikely friends I cannot imagine. I was honestly expecting more of an explosive finale as we learn who Cordelia's killer was but, when I thought about it, it was all somehow fitting. One sweet moment comes when Ruby gets a glimpse at an old photo of Cordelia and Ian as children, the first true image she's had of her ghostly friend. And what do all the burglaries have to do with anything? Let's face it, Boston's best face isn't visible much in this series. There's even a tying up of the goings on at Cordelia's old job, now Ruby's, so lots of ground is covered. Thanks #StMartin'sPress - #MinotaurBooks for introducing me to this unusual but intriguing odd pair and allowing me an early look at this, oh, so personal glimpse into the ongoing, ever changing relationship between Ruby and Cordelia.

No comments:
Post a Comment