500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Saturday, February 3, 2024

Turkey Trot Trouble: A Cozy Animal Mystery (Ruff McPaw Mysteries #8), by Max Parrott

 

Publication Feb. 8, 2024

Who knew being in a cooking show could be murder?

As much as I enjoy the mysteries in this series, the thing that keeps bringing me back is the human, family side of Angela. Her mother has early onset dementia and although it's sort of a lurking beneath the surface aspect of the story, it showcases the love and togetherness of Angela's family, which now seems to largely include teacher boyfriend David. Having dealt with dementia in the family, it makes Angela seem not just all the more real but anchors the story in reality. Yes, there are adorable, personable critters, most notably Ruff, the border collie sidekick who hates wearing his service animal vest, but Angela would drop everything in a heartbeat to be with family and it's a lovely trait to have. She also works closely with the police, not always true in cozy mysteries, even when the main character is romantically involved with a detective or police officer. In other words, Angela and her family are characters we can all relate to as humans, not just virtual characters we drop in on each new book. 

As for the mystery, yikes. A star chef is murdered on camera....sorta. Who'd want to kill hometown guy made good? As it turns out, there are several different suspects. There are also family issues that arise and, huh, missing/stolen cookbooks? Fortunately, besides David, also a huge help with the critters, and family, Angela has very human backup, a reporter/editor friend who is as good as, if not better than Angela at computer searches. I was a bit disappointed to see Ruff, with his very human thoughts throughout, rather sidelined this go-round but I'm sure he'll be back in action next book. Hey, someone has to stay home and keep an eye on Eggatha and her escape artist chick, now grown, Indy, named after Indiana Jones. Now, if someone could just teach Angela to make a good pie.

Bottom line, a fun, easy read that I pretty much devoured in one day. I'm trying hard not to get hung up on taking notes, so I'm sure I've left out stuff but, hey, you'll find out all about the cooking contest, wayward turkeys, close knit family, and, hey, even some growing romance. Lots to enjoy and I always find myself wondering what Angela will manage to do to wind up in the hospital next time. Thanks #BookSirens and author #MaxParrott for letting me have this sneak peek into Angela's world again. My dog Daisy sends Ruff a tail wag.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creating Reading Rainbow: The Untold Story of a Beloved Children's Series, by Barbara Irwin, Tony Buttino, Pam Johnson

Publication June 18, 2024 I knew immediately I was going to thoroughly enjoy this book as I read Barbara Irwin's preface. Her warm remem...