500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Monday, February 5, 2024

Making Sense of Dog Senses: How Our Furry Friends Experience the World, by Stephanie Gibeault , Raz Latif (Illustrations)


 Publication April 15, 2024

Having had countless children run up to my usually bouncy corgi mix without permission (fortunately she adores kids), this book won me over with the detailed instructions to children on how to best approach a dog. Although aimed at young readers, this book should be of interest (and maybe help) to dog lovers of all ages. Lots of info and fun, interactive ideas to use and it appears that the book version has, yeah, stickers! One of the few times I've regretted reviewing a digital edition. Grin. 

Each sense is explored with frequent mention of how the dog uses that sense to, well, make sense of the world and those about it. We all surely know by now that dogs sniff each others rear ends to quickly get to know that dog, but what exactly are they learning? Among other things, the dog's health and what it's been eating, perhaps even the type of area it comes from. It's a habit that may make its human cringe but it's one that quickly provides the dog with lots of information. Each sense is detailed, with frequently humorous but always helpful illustrations, though I won't detail them here but will note that it suggests ways we mere humans can get at least an idea of how those senses work. Those illustrations guide readers through their paces, that's for sure. Relax, it doesn't ask you to tinkle on a fire hydrant.

Having had a friend swear to me that his dogs liked facing east and seemed to manage to do so whenever possible, I found the discussion on whether dogs can really sense direction rather intriguing. I'm going to have to pay more attention to my own dog at leisure or rest in the yard, for instance, and see how she does. Bottom line, a fun book full of interesting info with equally fun but helpful illustrations. This one should be on dog lovers' shelves and, hint, would make a great gift. Thanks #NetGalley and #OwlKidsBooks for giving me this sneak peek. I was glad to catch a glimpse of the corgis included as illustration but liked the diversity of breeds offered.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creating Reading Rainbow: The Untold Story of a Beloved Children's Series, by Barbara Irwin, Tony Buttino, Pam Johnson

Publication June 18, 2024 I knew immediately I was going to thoroughly enjoy this book as I read Barbara Irwin's preface. Her warm remem...