500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Thursday, February 22, 2024

Be Funny or Die: How Comedy Works and Why It Matters, by Joel Morris (Audiobook)

 

AUDIO EDITION   9h 3m    Available March 6, 2024

The title pretty much summarizes the book. That said, it wasn't quite what I was expecting but was an interesting read nevertheless.  Narrated by author Joel Morris, the narrative flowed and I felt like Morris was sitting across from me and simply chatting as he shared his experiences and thoughts. Chapters were simply announced and the narration carried on. Since, as is my usual custom with audio editions, I listened while driving or doing everyday things, I'm sure I probably missed some of the nuances, especially since I only scribbled a few notes to myself. I will admit that there were times when I felt like I was going into info overload, but then he'd move right along and I'd find myself right back into the flow. 

Although the names used weren't always familiar, it was easy to see where they fit into the whole, that comedy is a universal language. I haven't done so yet but the section on Robin Williams laughing and telling jokes to a giant ape who knew sign language has me ready to do some internet digging in the near future. The question of whether animals share our need and love of humor was definitely intriguing. Morris also brought back fond memories of the late Queen Elizabeth's foray into comedy. Remember her short video with "James Bond", ie Daniel Craig? Just as the graphic of the late Queen hand-in-hand with Paddington Bear was utilized as a sort of universal sharing of grief, it also brought back memories of the very regal Queen sharing lunch and the secret of her always present purse with Paddington. That's part of the humor process Morris discusses, btw, the unexpectedness of it all. 

That's the focus of the book. What works and doesn't work. More importantly, reasons why. Rather than being a guide to budding comedians, however, this is more a look at the comedy genre. As such, it all became a bit too much for me at times but was ultimately intriguing. Much of the advice that can be mined within is probably obvious, like know your audience, timing, expectations, and pace. But it also talks about what makes comedy duos work, heck, trios or groups. Thinking about the examples used, it all made sense, even as I was driving down a snowy highway while listening to that section. Oh, the potential comedy of a snowy highway. So, if you're looking for an in depth look at being funny, this is the book for you. It won't tell you how to be funny but you'll better understand why you find some things funny and, well, others not. We've all been there. That joke that makes everyone but you in the room roar while you muster a bewildered smile. 

Bottom line, while this book offered me more than I wanted to know at times, overall I found it quite interesting. As a narrator, I loved Morris' British accent. And, hey,speaking of Brits, his comment about the late John Lennon once saying that if he hadn't been a Beatle, he'd have loved to be part of the Goons comedy troupe. Humor really is a universal language, just as music is, notes Morris. I'm rating this a four star  since it wasn't quite a perfect fit for me but, honestly, for those desiring an in depth look at "how comedy works and why it matters", this is easily a five plus.Thanks #NetGalley and #DreamscapeMedia for sharing an early listen that gave me some laughs and grins as well as made me think. Also, thanks to the author for the solid citations.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Creating Reading Rainbow: The Untold Story of a Beloved Children's Series, by Barbara Irwin, Tony Buttino, Pam Johnson

Publication June 18, 2024 I knew immediately I was going to thoroughly enjoy this book as I read Barbara Irwin's preface. Her warm remem...