500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Thursday, February 15, 2024

Patchwork Quilt Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #30), by Leslie Meier


 Publication April 23, 2024

First, before I dive into the eventual murder, I want to send kudos to Leslie Meier for not shying away from tackling issues that could have been pulled straight from today's headlines. Mental health and the lack of facilities and care, small businesses being swallowed by larger corporate operated ones, budget woes and potential misuse, the autism spectrum, uneasiness about the justice system, the climate crisis, and more are tackled. Meier handles them well and is sensitive to the many aspects of each. I also feel I should mention for those who might be triggered by it, that, well, Lucy's faithful ol' dog Libby crosses the Rainbow Bridge in this episode. Another differentiation between this series and many others is that the characters, human and otherwise, have aged as the series progresses so such an event isn't unexpected. It was handled lovingly and well with many family memories triggered, not to mention a sweet, respectful funeral for sweet Libby.

As for the eventual murder, I think it took until chapter eleven before it became evident that one had taken place. I won't detail the plot as the blurb does an excellent job of that, but will say that while they're aware of a murder, they don't initially have any idea who the victim was. It's probably evident why from the blub. Since the victim is initially unknown, Lucy's suspect list is, well, non-existent. As a result, Lucy finds herself focusing on other issues, one of which is the strange behavior and disappearance of her boss's son who has mental health issues. Unfortunately, the timing is such that he is a suspect. And, where is the new community center's new, highly paid director? Tinker's Cove is already in a bit of an uproar over the money spent on the center and her salary, so her almost immediate vacation and then disappearance are troubling. And what about the Civil War era quilt? Is it real (it's a historical fact such quilts were made, btw) or a fake? And, phew, having lived in Florida during triple digit heat waves, I had a hard time making my climate warming sensibilities not want to scream out to Lucy to go buy an air conditioner. In other words, social issues meet real life and the answer isn't as easy as we'd like.

Bottom line, while I've probably missed an installment here and there, I've loved this series ever since discovering it. I've noticed Meier's more socially conscious leaning of late. This is a more real world aspect while retaining the cozy sense of family, friends, and the sense that we're all connected. Thanks #NetGalley and #KensingtonBooks - #KensingtonCozies for letting me spend time again with Lucy. Now I think I'll go give my furry canine an extra ear scratch.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Creating Reading Rainbow: The Untold Story of a Beloved Children's Series, by Barbara Irwin, Tony Buttino, Pam Johnson

Publication June 18, 2024 I knew immediately I was going to thoroughly enjoy this book as I read Barbara Irwin's preface. Her warm remem...