500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Wednesday, December 28, 2022

Four Parties and a Funeral (Catering Hall Mystery #4), by Maria DiRico

 

Publication March 28, 2023

This one seemed to get off to a slow start with me and that, combined with occasionally being confused about who was who, meant I never quite connected with the story. Don't get me wrong. I didn't dislike the book. I just never found the connection to it that makes a book special to me. That said, if you particularly like books with Italian families and have an interest in how reality shows work behind-the-scenes, this might be the book for you. 

 The plot centers around producer Giles St. James doing a pilot show for a possible reality show called "Dons of Ditmars Boulevard". This being the first book I've read of the series, I found myself floundering a bit trying to figure out where all the dons and wannabe dons were coming from. For the record, let's just make it simple and say that while not involved, Mia's family does have mobster, er, don members. She visits a family member in prison and it's telling that he has been in and out of there so frequently that his regular guard in the visitor's complex seems to have become a friend. Mia is also asked to keep an eye on Little D, seemingly the younger son of a local (for real) don, and simply falls into step with the idea. In other words, even though I had no real clue why all this was simply part of life, it's an accepted part. 

So, who killed producer Giles? It'd be too obvious to say, well, one of the don families? Or, hmm, would it? How about one of the members of the reality show cast or crew? They are a rather theatrical bunch, for lack of a better word, and Little D gets entangled with Giles' ex-wife. Maybe one of those rejected when they tried out for a role? Giles was a bit of a flirt and perhaps someone felt they'd been mistreated? As for Mia, what is going on between boyfriend Shane and her? What secrets might Shane be hiding? 

And, oh, never mind. Enough teasers. Even though this one didn't grab my interest, you may enjoy sorting all this and more out yourself. Thanks #NetGalley and #KensingtonBooks - #KensingtonCozies for letting me drop in on Mia's confusing to me but intriguing world. I'll definitely give it another chance to grab me. Some of my favorite books have been those I took that second chance on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Women in the Valley of the Kings: The Untold Story of Women Egyptologists in the Gilded Age, by Kathleen Sheppard

 Publication July 16, 2024 If you're into Egyptology or archeology, this fascinating book should be on your shelf. On the other hand, if...