500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Tuesday, December 6, 2022

Last Seen in Santorini, by Vivian Conroy

 

Publication Jan. 6, 2023   Miss Ashford Investigates #2

I first crossed paths with this book when the author noticed I'd shared several cozy mystery reviews on Twitter, of all places, and suggested this one as one I might like. Despite the slow-to-me start, once I settled into the slower pace, I was hooked. I haven't read book one but other than wondering if it might have made it clearer why Atalanta Ashford didn't completely trust Raoul, there were no issues. In fact, I deducted that it was her own feelings toward the handsome race driver that she didn't trust, not Raoul himself. I also give credit to the book for distracting me while dealing with an unhappy tummy over the weekend, meaning it definitely kept my interest.

The author does a lovely job of description. It allowed me to thoroughly enjoy my arm-chair traveler experience to both Venice and Santorini. Heck, it even seen me to research Santorini, which I knew little about. The photos I found made the scene come that much more alive but, no, you don't need to research your arm-chair travel to enjoy. You'll hear, see, and smell the noises, voices, vivid blues of the sea, and aroma of the flowers. All without leaving home!

As for the murder, this is only Atalanta's second case. She seems to have become a tad over-confident after solving the first, only reluctantly only giving Raoul the deserved credit for his help, not to mention info found in her late grandfather's papers. In this case, she responds to the distress and sadness of a woman in black who begs her to investigate a daughter's death in Santorini. 

Thanks to her butler's info, Raoul seen appears. She spends a great deal of time denying her interest in him to herself, despite spending real time with him that is easily observed by others. Heck, she even thinks he may be part of the problem, if not the solution to at least one of her questions. Then, another death. The Bucardi family is not all it appears on the surface and, in fact, she fears for the young son's well-being. Convinced she can solve the investigation on her own, Atalanta tends to leap from one supposition to another. She even resents Raoul pointing out that just because she believes something to be true doesn't mean it is. Her attitude was rather annoying at times but I liked her.

Supposedly arriving to be caretaker to an elderly aunt of the Bucardi family, Atalanta quickly discovers all is not as it appears. Pirate's treasure? Quick tempers that flash into violence? Why are Luca's parents so cool toward him? Why does his father react so violently when Luca is given a puppy? Was Titia the innocent young victim she appears on the surface or could her photos hold a clue? Then, another murder? How the heck does the victim's body wind up in bed when evidence indicates they died elsewhere? Is Atalanta truly safe? Will she ever learn to trust both Raoul and her heart? Who.....oh, enough teasers. You're just going to have to read the book. I know I'll be looking forward to Atalanta's next adventure.

Thanks #NetGalley and #HarperCollinsUK - #OneMoreChapter, not to mention author #VivianConroy for bringing this book to my attention. Venice sounded dreamy but Santorini, with all its history and beauty was amazing.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Women in the Valley of the Kings: The Untold Story of Women Egyptologists in the Gilded Age, by Kathleen Sheppard

 Publication July 16, 2024 If you're into Egyptology or archeology, this fascinating book should be on your shelf. On the other hand, if...