500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Monday, December 12, 2022

Irish Knit Murder; by Peggy Ehrhart

 

Publication Feb. 28, 2023

This series by Peggy Ehrhart was one of the cozy mystery series that introduced me to the genre. As such, I was looking forward to delving into the "Irish Knit Murder". Unfortunately for me, I found it slow going, taking me quite awhile to get into the story. That said, for the most part, once I found my rhythm, the pace seemed to pick up and hold my interest despite all too frequently seemingly getting bogged down in details like food, clothing, and things that had no real relevance to the story. 3.5 rounded to a 4.

That said, the characters are interesting and I always find it intriguing to read about the stories submitted to the Fiber Craft publication of which Pamela is associate editor. This go-round, the one that grabbed me was about Civil War quilts, a project that connected quilters on both sides via their love for those serving and devotion to their craft. It's always a plus for me to read a book that not only entertains me but teaches me something new. 

The mystery itself centered around the murder of Isobel Lister only minutes after she put on a memorable display of talent with a St. Patrick's Day theme. Both main characters Pamela and Bettina, a reporter for the town's weekly newspaper, were at the show. The murder is particularly startling as there seemed to be no reason anyone would kill Isobel. Several suspects emerge, however, with reasons connected to both family and the holiday itself. In the process, we learn a bit about the possible origin of the Easter Bunny, not to mention the holiday name itself. See, another learning moment. Isobel's daughter is a knitter and attends the Knit and Nibble gathering, where we learn about making mini-crochet nests for tiny orphaned or ill birds, squirrels, and such. Interesting idea, actually. 

Of course, while all this is going on, Pamela and Bettina are investigating, although partaking in ample respites that involve food. Again, a bit too much detail about tastes, dripping items, and such for me. So, who did it? Why would someone kill an innocent seeming senior citizen? Could someone actually kill someone over a mere song or two? Or, was there more? Like, another murder? Hmm....

One thing there was was kittens. Will Pamela get a kitten? What do the Tarot Cards foresee? Now that she's solved a murder, what's next for her. Thanks #NetGalley and #KensingtonBooks for inviting me to the St. Patrick's Day show.                                              


No comments:

Post a Comment

Women in the Valley of the Kings: The Untold Story of Women Egyptologists in the Gilded Age, by Kathleen Sheppard

 Publication July 16, 2024 If you're into Egyptology or archeology, this fascinating book should be on your shelf. On the other hand, if...