500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Fireside Reading of The Nutcracker and The Mouse King, by E. T. A. Hoffmann, Narrated by Gildart Jackson

 

AUDIO 3h, 13m

As a narrator, Gildart Jackson is top-notch. I particularly enjoyed his rendition of the first battle. You could envision the noise, confusion, and chaos about them as the magical battle raged. Of course, given Jackson's background, which includes everything from soap operas to the Headmaster in the TV series "Charmed", not to mention Shakespeare, that is to be expected. It's a treat for all of us that he does these classical readings.

Much to my surprise, I wasn't as taken with the original, written version as I'd expected to be, however. That's probably more on my familiarity with the ballet (I found myself trying to match scenes from the story to the ballet) than the story itself. That said, despite the magical, fantastic aspects of the story, even given Jackson's skill, the story just seemed to lag in spots. As a result, although I'd give Gildart Jackson 5+ as narrator, I had to rate this a bit lower, a 4 star. Others may find it more instantly delightful, however, so don't let my somewhat disappointment scare you away. It's worth a listen just to hear Gildart Jackson's narration. 

Thanks #NetGalley and #DreamscapeMedia for allowing me to visit the timeless tale of the Nutcracker. Although it took me awhile to adjust to the rhythm, I did enjoy  hearing the full story as originally told.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Women in the Valley of the Kings: The Untold Story of Women Egyptologists in the Gilded Age, by Kathleen Sheppard

 Publication July 16, 2024 If you're into Egyptology or archeology, this fascinating book should be on your shelf. On the other hand, if...