500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Thursday, December 1, 2022

In Farm's Way, by Amanda Flower

 

Publication Feb. 21, 2023    

Farm to Table Mysteries #3

I'm hardly an unbiased reviewer as I automatically gravitate to anything Amanda Flower has written, sure I'll love it. I even follow her on Facebook as she shares bits and pieces of her own real farm life with fans. There's more, of course. She writes a good story, yes, but I find myself as drawn to them for the characters and relationships that evolve as I am the mystery. 
 
Heck, main character Shiloh Bellamy even has a fun, relatable bond with her dog. Huckleberry, a personality all onto himself, that's for sure. I found myself chuckling at his antics, glancing at my own "Don't even think about trying to get me into that" dog, as Huckleberry clearly expressed his disdain for his winter doggie coat and booties when forced to wear them to venture outside. Let's just say, my Daisy dog is not a fan of dress-up, either, even if she does live in Alaska. 
 
While it's Shiloh's close relationship to her friend Kristy, whose husband is a prime suspect in the murder of brewery owner Wallace Fields, probably the most intriguing is her long time friendship, sometimes almost romantic relationship with EMT Quinn. Past friendship and tragedy seem to both draw them together and apart. And, uh-oh, there's a new romantic interest on the horizon. I'm torn. I like them both, not to mention the bond Shiloh has forged with Quinn's daughter, so it will be interesting to see how this one plays out. 
 
But, back to the murder. Who killed Wallace Fields? How did he wind up, gulp, under the ice where the Lake Skegemog Ice Fishing Derby was being held? Ice that will hold up under the sort of weight that event would generate is thick. Did Wallace really rig the contest for a new cherry flavored brew? Where did Jason get his brewing talent? Could the MOBA, Michigan Organic Beer Association, somehow be involved? Why are some of its members saying that few are sad to hear of Wallace's passing? Do you know how much goes into creating a new brew? Why is Quinn's father unhappy that the sheriff has been called in to head the investigation? Is Shiloh's father an accident waiting to happen? Why does Quinn.... oh, nope. No more teasers. Read the book. You can't go wrong with an Amanda Flower series. 
 

Thanks #NetGalley and #PoisonedPenPress for inviting me to the ice fishing derby. Living in Alaska, I even knew what was involved before reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Women in the Valley of the Kings: The Untold Story of Women Egyptologists in the Gilded Age, by Kathleen Sheppard

 Publication July 16, 2024 If you're into Egyptology or archeology, this fascinating book should be on your shelf. On the other hand, if...