500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Rumi–Poet of Joy and Love, by Rashin Kheiriyeh


 Publication March 5, 2024

Beautifully illustrated, this tells the story of Rumi as a child, then showing the influences in his life as he grew and matured. I loved the artwork with its vivid colors. It almost seemed to burst from the page at times. I also loved the frequent appearances of the black cat but if there was some significance to that, I'm not familiar enough with his full life or works.

Like most, I'm most familiar with Rumi from his philosophical sayings. That, to be honest, was what I expected the focus of the book to be, I have to admit, given the title. Don't get me wrong. Lots of joy and love here but not so much of his work. It was interesting to discover the influences behind his best work, however, including that of his parents. As a book aimed at children, the information is necessarily concise and doesn't go into great amounts of detail but does convey the sense of his life and writings. As such, I'm not sure how most children will react to the words but would imagine they'll love the bright color bursts of the artwork and the depiction of Rumi's surroundings and people. It'd make a lovely gift.

The bird imagery was a delight, too, as was the emphasis on his joy of reading and curiosity about nature. The theme of loss and forgiveness should resonate, too, as will the impact of jealousy, especially contrasted with the love of his family. His appreciation for the simple things in life, not what money could buy, are also obvious. My thanks to #NetGalley and #NorthSouthBooks for allowing me this sneak peek. Such a beautifully done book and the author's respect for Rumi shines throughout.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creating Reading Rainbow: The Untold Story of a Beloved Children's Series, by Barbara Irwin, Tony Buttino, Pam Johnson

Publication June 18, 2024 I knew immediately I was going to thoroughly enjoy this book as I read Barbara Irwin's preface. Her warm remem...