500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Friday, January 19, 2024

In Sunshine or in Shadow: A Molly Murphy Mystery (Molly Murphy Mysteries, 20), by Rhys Bowen , Clare Broyles

 

Publication March 12, 2024

On the surface, the plot seems rather straightforward. Who killed the wannabe husband of Mira? There are multiple suspects and Molly Murphy Sullivan, albeit pregnant and relatively retired from her detective business, is on the spot to investigate. It's much more than that, however.

While the murder investigation is intriguing, the various facets of the plot are equally so. The expectations and roles of women in 1908 and discrimination against Jews are prominent. The relationship between Sid and Gus, aka Elena and Augusta, isn't spelled out but is clear. So, too, is their support of the women's movement and environmental issues. Then there's the history aspect of the earliest formation of what might be called a Jewish enclave in the Catskills of upper New York. The early idea of building get-away homes/cabins is addressed. 

In other words, there's much to take in while pondering whodunit.It's actually been awhile since I've revisited Molly's world but I immediately felt comfortable as I caught up on past events, including her current pregnancy. The authors' descriptions of characters and the settings were lovely, especially in contrast to Molly's usual location in NYC. I could just imagine bouncing along in a horse drawn carriage in the beautifully described areas, much of it park land. You'll also sense Molly's unease at what she's gotten herself into when she stumbles into an environmental protest in the middle-of-nowhere. For someone determined to take it easy this pregnancy, she does have a way of forgetting. Husband Daniel, of course, makes an appearance, partly to help the local police and partly because, quite frankly, he misses his wife and family. I mean, he sent them away to his mother's to avoid the spread of typhoid in the city but Molly still manages to endanger herself. 

I won't detail the plot as it's quite interconnected and I don't want to give away anything. The history aspects of the story, of course, appealed to the ol' history major in me as did the well rounded characters. Rhys Bowen and daughter Clare Broyles' collaboration works well. I won't stay away as long next time. Thanks #NetGalley and #StMartin'sPress - #MinotaurBooks for this sneak peak. I enjoyed my trip to the then rustic Catskills.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creating Reading Rainbow: The Untold Story of a Beloved Children's Series, by Barbara Irwin, Tony Buttino, Pam Johnson

Publication June 18, 2024 I knew immediately I was going to thoroughly enjoy this book as I read Barbara Irwin's preface. Her warm remem...