500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Thursday, January 25, 2024

Rhythm and Clues (Record Shop Mystery #3), Olivia Blacke


 Publication March 28, 2024

What song makes you flashback to the past?  Makes you remember who you were with and where? Makes you instantly remember the emotions that song conjures up? 

Juni probably has that song on vinyl. She and her sisters operate Sip & Spin Records, It came into being on the back of nostalgia for vinyl records and although it's been doing okay, they are considering a proposal from a financier who turns out to have a sketchy record, both in business and his personal relationships. During a business meeting at a hockey game, he flirts openly with Juni despite "not my boyfriend" Beau being with her. I've been to hockey games and am amazed anyone would consider having a business meeting there but, well, to each his own. Not surprisingly, it's a no sale and Juni and Beau leave early.

Then a torrential storm hits, leading Juni and a sister to check out the status of the shop. Just as they're about to leave, they hear a horrible crash outside. Someone has hit their car during the downpour. Even worse, turns out someone is dead. Guess who? Yep, the too hands on financier, Zack. That's when things get complicated. Was it an accident or murder? Who'd be out in the middle of an almost historic storm, manage to hurl a brick at the windshield, and kill Zack? As it turns out, there are multiple suspects with good reason to wish him dead. Juni is determined to figure out whodunit, even while being warned away by Beau, the local detective and Juni's high school beau. 

To be honest, although I didn't love this book, I didn't hate it, either, but never quite felt pulled into caring, if that makes sense. Although I like the characters and idea of the vinyl record shop, I just didn't feel invested enough in the story to care, although I will admit I was delighted to see the end of the love triangle. I don't care for that tactic in any book, to be honest. In this case, it seemed to be as much about that as it was the mystery. Juni's investigations seem to have even become a bit of a joke in the gossip-filled, or should I say fueled town, too, and the side stories were more a distraction than anything else. Toss in the weirdness of the unexpected guest and Juni's mom issues and it was hard to remain focused on whodunit. 

Don't get me wrong, I didn't dislike this book. It was a relatively quick read that did keep me reading until the end although, quite frankly, I am still not quite sure why the killer killed. That said, I have enjoyed the series and look forward to getting back in sync with Juni and the gang next book. Curious to see if the end of the love triangle holds and what mischief Juni will get herself involved in next. Thanks #NetGalley and #StMartin'sPress - #StMartin'sPaperbacks for inviting me along for this nostalgic trip down musical lane.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creating Reading Rainbow: The Untold Story of a Beloved Children's Series, by Barbara Irwin, Tony Buttino, Pam Johnson

Publication June 18, 2024 I knew immediately I was going to thoroughly enjoy this book as I read Barbara Irwin's preface. Her warm remem...