500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Sunday, January 28, 2024

Falling for Alaska (Moose Falls, Alaska #1), by Belle Calhoune


 Publication March 26,2024

As an Alaskan, I'm always a sucker for a book related to Alaska. While I'm reading fewer romances nowadays, shrug, I found this one a fun, easy read. I liked the main characters, Xavier and True, and the others about them. From the moment the book opened on Xavier and his two younger brothers as children dealing with their parent's divorce and move to Arizona from Alaska -- talk about different environments! -- I was hooked. True seemed a bit prickly, for lack of a better word, when we met her but as we get to know her back story, including her parent's death in a plane crash and raising her younger brother alone, I came to like and respect her....even when her hormones seemed to run out of control at times. Xavier's grandmother, despite living on borrowed time, is a hoot and someone we'd all enjoy having as a grandma. Even Xavier's two brothers, although we don't get to know them as well, are likable. Toss in the beauty of Alaska and I simply sit back and enjoyed the read.

We get to see the story build through different viewpoints, too, from Xavier and True, to Hattie, the grandmother's take on things. That helps give us a fuller picture. And, oh, how could I not love the name Northern Exposure for Hattie's business that True manages and dreams of owning one day. Sparks seemed to fly the moment True and Xavier set eyes on each other but that didn't make the road to couple-hood any easier. Toss in humor and the beauty of the area, not to mention a moose or two, and you have a fun romance to watch build, hit a few bumps, and finally find its balance once both Xavier and True face old emotional bruises head-on. Thank you #NetGalley and #Forever - #GreatCentralPublishing for inviting me for a virtual visit to the Kenai to meet True and Xavier. I'm looking forward to my next visit already.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creating Reading Rainbow: The Untold Story of a Beloved Children's Series, by Barbara Irwin, Tony Buttino, Pam Johnson

Publication June 18, 2024 I knew immediately I was going to thoroughly enjoy this book as I read Barbara Irwin's preface. Her warm remem...