500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Saturday, December 30, 2023

A Most Intriguing Lady, by Sarah Ferguson

 

Like many, I'm sure, I opted to read this book out of curiosity. It was highly publicized given Ferguson's title as Duchess of York, but I'd somehow never gotten around to it until now. Honestly, my expectations weren't high. I was pleased to discover, however, that I was wrong. It was an interesting, well-written read. 

I won't belabor the plot as I'm sure it's been retold countless times by now. Instead, just a quick look at the characters that kept me reading, Lady Mary Montague Douglas Scott and Colonel Walter Trefusis. Tre, as Mary winds up calling him, seems an unlikely hero. He's obviously suffering from some sort of PTSD and has a splitting headache and is feeling woozy. Unfortunately, he's seated at a crowded table while leaving the table is seen as, at best, rude. Yet, he manages to leave the crowded space and go outside from some much needed air. Much to his surprise, he notices the young woman who was seated across from him is outside, too. Lady Mary. Even more surprising, she isn't just taking in some fresh air, she's doing a sort of tight-rope walk across a narrow, raised area. Mary hadn't planned on doing it but, well, she just couldn't resist. It thus becomes obvious that though she's spent her life in the background, rarely garnering attention, there's another side to her. A more daring side. 

Inevitably, the two connect and find kindred spirits in each other. While there's an underlying current of romance, the story focuses on how they're able to combine their strengths to solve crimes. Already intrigued by their characters, I thoroughly enjoyed the story of how they worked together, which was far more the focus than any budding romance. I have to admit, I found that refreshing. You'll certainly learn a bit about expectations based on rank and sex during this time period, as well as what motivates Tre and Mary. Glad I finally got around to reading this #Avon book that blends in some real events, I might note.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Murder at the Rusty Anchor (A Cozy Capers Book Group Mystery 6), by Maddie Day

   Publication June 25, 2024 Not exactly the way Mackenzie "Mac" Almeida wanted to start her work day. She knew it couldn't be...