500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Friday, December 22, 2023

A Smoking Bun (A Bakeshop Mystery #18), by Ellie Alexander

 

Publication Feb. 20, 2024

Being a bit of a klutz, I found myself approaching this book from an odd angle. Let's just say, I clicked the wrong button on my reader and found myself way ahead on a page where the sleuth, Jules Capshaw, is announcing who the killer is. Oops. That said, oddly enough, maybe made it more fun for me to go through the book properly and take note of all the clues pointing that way and at others. Ellie Alexander did an excellent job keeping my interest despite me knowing whodunit from the start. That's talent. 

Before you start reading, be sure to have some tasty goodies on hand. If you aren't hungry going into the book, you will be soon. Lots of food talk, including basically how Jules and the crew at Torte prepare their tasty treats. You're sure to find yourself liking them all and marvel at her mother's organizational skills. We get to meet Ramiro's other family this go-round, which might have been stressful given Ramiro is Jules' husband's child. But, it isn't. Again, nicely handled and I'm betting it's setting up future events. Nope, not telling what I'm guessing. You'll just have to read the book.

As for the murder, the murder weapon is unique. I don't think I'm going to suggest to my area ski resorts that they set up a Downhill Dummy competition. While it sounds like a blast to watch on the surface, oh, my, it's dangerous. How dangerous? Dangerous enough that it is the murder weapon, so to speak. True, no one seemed to like rogue tour guy Fitz much, but he surely didn't deserve to die. What had he been up to the night before out on the trail? Why did his group need rescuing? How will the death at the competition impact the lodge? Who is that mystery woman who never seems far from her clipboard? Who is January and what is her connection to the lodge, heck, the whole mess? Why is Jules snooping around in the lodge? Is Hero a, well, hero or villain? How about Shawn? Will all this blow up in Jules' face? 

Who was....oh, enough teasers. You need to read this book. It's well written, keeps you wondering who did it (I even was second-guessing my inadvertent insight at times, thinking I'd surely misread), and have you reaching for a tasty goodie as you read. Thanks #NetGalley and #StMartinsPress - #Minotaur for inviting me to the fun events. Ellie Alexander has definitely proven once again what an excellent writer she is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Murder at the Rusty Anchor (A Cozy Capers Book Group Mystery 6), by Maddie Day

   Publication June 25, 2024 Not exactly the way Mackenzie "Mac" Almeida wanted to start her work day. She knew it couldn't be...