500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Saturday, November 25, 2023

Squirrel Skip Squabble: A Cozy Animal Mystery, by Max Parrott

 


First, how can you not love this cover? My Daisy dog has a running battle with our local sqirrel, who I've dubbed Nemesis, so there was no way I was going to resist this one. I'm hooked on the series although I am reading backwards, so to speak. My intro was the most recent book and I've worked my way backward to what is book three. This one serves the purpose of introducing Angela's wayward brother William to the book, adding a few jig saw pieces to the more current books where his long absence was addressed. Nicely done, too. I feel right at home with the cast of characters, from Angela and her feisty dog Ruff, to her mother, who suffers from early onset dementia. As one who has experienced dealing with dementia in the family, it's sobering but I'm glad the author is giving this horrible disease loving attention and showing its impact on the family.

As for the murder, it kept me guessing until the end. I knew, just knew it wasn't William, the prime suspect, but couldn't figure out who it was. Kudos to Ruff and P-Nutty the squirrel for being part of the investigation in their own ways, too. Angela is still early in her days as a private investigator, so she's still learning how to listen to her dog as well as gain the full trust of Police Chief Helbar. She wasn't expecting the prime suspect to be her own brother, though. Even worse, the evidence against him is mounting. How will she prove William's innocence as well as find the culprit that murdered reclusive millionaire Reginald Dean? Toss in taking care of her farm and critters as well as nursing the injured P-Nutty alongside of regular visits to her parents (her father is a retired cop), investigating, and, oh, maybe cultivating a romantic relationship and Angela is a busy woman. 

Bottom line, a fun read with characters you'll feel comfortable with and look forward to meeting again in future books. There are multiple suspects and motives, red herrings and twists and turns in this nicely constructed plot. I enjoyed spending time with Angela.... well, when she isn't driving her truck almost beyond its capabilities ... and her family and friends. Nice to get William's background and reasons for leaving, too, one of the main pieces my "catch up reading" hadn't fully found until this book. So, jump in anywhere in the series, read forwards or backwards, or jump around. You'll enjoy your visit. Thanks #BookSirens for letting me be part of Angela and Ruff's world for awhile Treats for Ruff!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Murder at the Rusty Anchor (A Cozy Capers Book Group Mystery 6), by Maddie Day

   Publication June 25, 2024 Not exactly the way Mackenzie "Mac" Almeida wanted to start her work day. She knew it couldn't be...