500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Sunday, November 26, 2023

How to Look at a Bird: Open Your Eyes to the Joy of Watching and Knowing Birds, by Clare Walker Leslie

 

Publication Feb. 6, 2024

Loved this. There's a comfortable feeling to it, if that makes sense. Almost as if the author is huddled up near you chatting softly as you scan the surroundings for birds. She offers easy to grasp hints on how not just to find and identify birds, but how to sketch them, too. I'm no true birder but have noticed that the more serious among them keep detailed records and sketches of what birds they've spied, so that made sense. While most bird books offer pictures/photos, the ones she offers are genuinely quick sketches, meant to capture basic traits as well as the moment. In other words, something most of us can grasp and utilize on whatever level we are. She calls it bird contouring, btw.

Along the way, you'll learn how to attract birds to your own little piece of the world. I grinned when she noted that, yes, that may mean squirrels, too, as my own bird feeder was like a magnet to the local squirrel, which I've dubbed Nemesis for my dog's running feud with it's mere existence. Oddly enough, she doesn't bark at the birds. But, anyway.... While every possible bird in the world isn't shown, that would involve a much longer, less fun read for novices, it does do an excellent job of capturing types I've seen frequently in my own yard and then some. There's a white raven in neighboring community, so I definitely looked upfront to see if ravens were included and, yep, they are. Lots of fun facts about bird types, too.

More importantly, it's a fun, easy read. I highly recommend it to fledgling birders or those, like me, who simply enjoy watching them in random moments. It'd also make a great gift. Thanks #NetGalley and #StoreyPublishing for reminding me/us of the marvels as close as our own front windows.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Murder at the Rusty Anchor (A Cozy Capers Book Group Mystery 6), by Maddie Day

   Publication June 25, 2024 Not exactly the way Mackenzie "Mac" Almeida wanted to start her work day. She knew it couldn't be...