500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Thursday, October 28, 2021

Murder at the Castle: A Belinda Penshurst Mystery Book 2, by Lisa Cutts

 

How things change. I didn't like main character Belinda at all when I started reading. Somewhere, without me noticing, I came to, okay, if not like her at least understand her better. At first I couldn't fathom what the relatively easy going Harry saw in Belinda. Their interests rarely seemed to mesh and at times they seemed bored and impatient with each other. As I read further, however, I saw how alive they became when faced with a mystery, one that gave them both an excuse to employ their wits as well as spend time with the other. This change in my own attitude speaks highly of the author's writing skill as the viewpoint alternates between Belinda and Harry.

I won't detail the plot, I'm sure others will do a far better job than I could, but will pat myself on the back for miraculously having an inkling who the guilty part was early on simply based on a comment made. Nope, not telling. You'll have to be your own sleuth. The clues are all there, you just have to find them and weed out the red herrings, of which there are plenty. Overall, the feel of the book reminds me a great deal of M.C. Beaton's Agatha Raisin series, so fans of that series should welcome a visit into Belinda's world which, by the way, includes a castle and dogs. As for Harry, I'm wondering what his potential new job might entail. Again, nope, not telling. Read the book.

Thanks to #NetGalley and #Bookouture for the ARC.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Murder at the Rusty Anchor (A Cozy Capers Book Group Mystery 6), by Maddie Day

   Publication June 25, 2024 Not exactly the way Mackenzie "Mac" Almeida wanted to start her work day. She knew it couldn't be...