500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Friday, October 8, 2021

-Northwind, by Gary Paulsen


Intense. The images just keep on coming. Gary Paulsen is a master at painting the scene for his readers and he outdoes himself in "Northwind". On the surface, the plot sounds simple. A boy left alone in the wilderness through no fault of his own and forced to rely on his own wits and ability to learn from events and his own mistakes. 

Hey, I think I've heard that story before! Yes, the wilderness and self-reliance are a common theme in many Paulsen books but this time he's taken us to sea, to sea in a small canoe. Paulsen, an avid sailor, combines his wilderness lore and knowledge of the sea to create a memorable picture of a boy becoming a man against the backdrop of the sea, a sea that includes swirling tides, dolphins, whales, and icebergs. 

While the focus remains on the journey and growth, "Northwind" is full of Nordic mythology with references to life, death, and learning and moving forward, always forward. In Nordic mythology a ship often symbolizes life, livelihood and ones journey through life and the afterlife, according to a source I read. Leif's ship is a cedar canoe, perhaps?

I live in Alaska and have observed whales from a small boat, one that appeared relatively large at the dock but suddenly seemed dwarfed when surrounded by leaping, playing whales. I remember the awe of thinking I could almost reach out and touch a mother whale that came up alongside where I stood, then dived and swam directly under our boat. I've actually witnessed the bubble feeding process that nearly sucks Leif to his death.Thus, I could experience some of the awe and unease Leif, the main character, must have felt when encountering these massive, majestic creatures. Bears are common, too, in Alaska, often in our own yards, so I shuddered when Leif came practically face to face with one. His story of a young eagle learning to carry its prey rings true and I've seen it with my own eyes. Ravens? Everywhere and I chuckled at the descriptions of their calls.

It should come as no surprise to any but new readers that Gary Paulsen once lived in Alaska. He knows the north. Blending that knowledge with Nordic mythology, he makes the experiences, both the wondrous and frightening ones, real. Like Leif, I have to wonder if Paulsen is also always looking north, even when at the helm of a sailboat, as he keeps on learning and sharing the oneness of nature with us. He has another winner in "Northwind".

Added: Sadly, received word that Gary Paulsen has passed away. He was 82 according to the press release. He has reached Valhalla, leaving us with his words, wonderful words, and shall be missed by friends, of which I was one, and readers, of which I was also one, alike. The photo below is my own, taken during his brief attempt to run the Iditarod once again.


 
Thank you to #NetGalley and #MacmillanChildrensPublishingGroup for the ARC.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Murder at the Rusty Anchor (A Cozy Capers Book Group Mystery 6), by Maddie Day

   Publication June 25, 2024 Not exactly the way Mackenzie "Mac" Almeida wanted to start her work day. She knew it couldn't be...