500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Saturday, October 30, 2021

There's A Porcupine in My Outhouse: Misadventures of a Mountain Man Wannabe, by Michael J. Tougias


I have to admit, having had a porcupine visit my own spruce tree last year, the title is what drew me to "There's a Porcupine in My Outhouse" to begin with. I'm so glad it did. This book is a delight. Part whimsical, self-deprecating humor and part fascinatingly informative, it was just what I needed to read over this alternately snowy and rainy weekend here in Alaska. Author Michael J. Tougias has the soul of a teacher as well as the eye of a modern day Thoreau. He'll make you grin one moment, then ponder whether it's true spider's can walk on water, so to speak, or is that really the best fishing hint ever, then sneak in a teaching moment about the critters involved and the need to not conquer the land but protect it. I found a bit of Gary Paulsen in him, too, and was delighted to find a mention of Paulsen's book "Hatchet" as he flew over the land wondering about his pilot's health and if he could really fly a plane if necessary. Thank you, Michael J. Tougias for inviting me along to your cabin and sharing your friends, neighbors, and wildlife about you. If you have any interest in living wild, so to speak, nature and the outdoors, I think you'll love this book. Accept his invite into his rustic cabin and give this a read. Thanks to #NetGalley and #RowmanAndLittlefield, #LyonsPress for the ARC.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Murder at the Rusty Anchor (A Cozy Capers Book Group Mystery 6), by Maddie Day

   Publication June 25, 2024 Not exactly the way Mackenzie "Mac" Almeida wanted to start her work day. She knew it couldn't be...