500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Friday, October 29, 2021

Bear Witness (Alaska Untamed Mystery #1) by Lark O. Jensen


Thanks to #NetGalley and #CrookedLaneBooks for the advanced copy. 

As I was walking my dog this morning in the freshly fallen snow here in Alaska, I thought about this book. I realized that thought spoke highly of the book. True, as an Alaskan I might quibble with a few things, like dogs on tour boats that I know from personal experience encounter very rough water at times, but Lark O. Jensen's descriptive powers and ability to bring characters to life made it stick with me. I've been on tour boats in the setting described and she captured that excitement and wonder at both the scenery and wildlife you'll see on such a tour well. Knowing the setting well, including the tour boats themselves, I felt right at home with this book and look forward to more in the series. Any book that can divert my mind from the beauty about me on my daily walk, complete with snow and mountains and, yes, a dog, albeit not a husky, has something going for it. That the author set a murder aboard amidst some of the world's most beautiful surroundings made the murder all the worse. Although I'd have liked to have seen things more along a bit faster, the story did drag in a few spots, "Bear Witness" is an excellent start to the series. I think I dreamed of leaping whales, husky kisses, and glacier bears. If you love travel, particularly to Alaska, huskies, wildlife, interesting characters, and mystery, you might enjoy this stop in Alaska. We'll be waiting to welcome you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Murder at the Rusty Anchor (A Cozy Capers Book Group Mystery 6), by Maddie Day

   Publication June 25, 2024 Not exactly the way Mackenzie "Mac" Almeida wanted to start her work day. She knew it couldn't be...