500 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published Professional Reader

Friday, April 12, 2024

Frances Perkins: Champion of American Worker, by Ruth Cashin Monsell

 

Publication April 16, 2024

The more you know, the more you realize what you don't know. 

Wow. I thought I had a pretty good grasp of who Frances Perkins was and her vital role in FDR's term. I was wrong. Well, not about what I knew of her from the Franklin Roosevelt presidential term. I had the basics of that, at least. I just didn't know the backstory, not only of all she accomplished there but how she got there in the first place. This book does a marvelous job of not only filling up that void in my knowledge bank but reminding me what the times she lived and diligently worked through for progress were really like. Born in 1880, in Boston, she grew up during a time when women's roles were trivialized and often discounted.

I won't detail her work, it's too vast and one bit builds on another, so trying to summarize it would not give it the due justice it deserves. Even her family members served a purpose in preparing her for dealing with frustration and outrage. Her younger sister threw uncontrolled temper tantrums and her grandmother. who urged her to develop her voice and learn to project, were all part of what made up Frances Perkins. All skills she utilized against an often male dominated world as she worked. Her parents promoted true discussions at meals, respecting and encouraging her to speak and help others less fortunate. She attended college at a time most women were usually encouraged to marry and have children. Shr became a fan of Theodore Roosevelt. Her parents were Republicans, btw. She later became a Democrat because she felt that party seemed more committed to helping resolve the problems of the poor and disadvantaged. Her first impression of the pre-polio FDR was that he was arrogant, however. She witnessed the Triangle Shirtwaist factory fire but it only served to make her more determined to not just help but convince those in power to help. And, I've barely skimmed the surface of her life experiences and how they formed her lifelong determination to do all she could to help others. I could go on for pages.

I'll note that all this happened long before she worked with/for FDR, a period also covered in depth in the book. Seriously, her resume is long with lots of schooling, a rarity for women of that time, and her courage impressive. I will note, since I didn't know, she did marry and also dealt with a husband who eventually seemed to suffer from what we'd call bipolar disease....all while still working for all mankind. She suffered a miscarriage and had a child die at birth basically before having a daughter who survived. The stories shared are interesting and, quite frankly, often made me fume at the injustices. What a legacy this women left, not just for women but for everyone. I am so glad I got to know her better via this book and thank #NetGalley and #IndependentPublishersGroup for making this book available to me. It was an eye-opener and all interested in where we came from and where we want to go should give it a read. I doubt you'll come away untouched. One can only wonder how she'd deal with modern political landscapes.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Olive You to Death (A Tourist Trap Mystery, #16), by Lynn Cahoon

 Publication June 4, 2024 Let's see, missing bride, hidden treasure, and, oh, yeah, a dead body. I mean, it isn't like Jill doesn...